Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

by James McBride

The Color of Water by James McBride

Feb 1996, 228 pages
    Feb 1997, 228 pages

There are currently 97 reader reviews for The Color of Water

anna (04/12/03)

i had to read this book for my ESL106 class at college and usually i hate reading books and thought from the beginning, that i would be boring when we start with it. after reading a few chapters at school i was really impressed about this book and even read at home, if we had to or not. last night i just wanted to read a few chapters because i was so bored, but i didn't feel like reading. The result of it was, that i read till 5 h in the morning, 10 chapters and now just one chapter is left.
It is really intersting to get to know about ruth's life with all these children and her hard family...
i recommended it immidiately to my friends who are reading it now.
Pookie-8 (03/26/03)

This book should be read by every teenager in America. IT illustrates about the meaning of hertige and it will encourage them to suceed in their lives. The book had me to evaluate my life and think about blessed I am to grow up knowing about my family. Also, influenced me to gain more interest to learn more about my heritge.
Ben Alter (03/09/03)

I had to read this book for a school assignment, and thought it would be hideously boring. Something like a "chick-flick." However, I began burrying myself in the book for hours, finding it intruiging, and interesting. I learned what being a white jew, with 12 black kids can do to a person. Especially in a time of segregation, and hated towards a specific race of people.
Ms. E (02/19/03)

This book should be an eye opener to anyone who believes that poverty is a wall that prevents one from climbing out. Inspiring and down to earth, my ninth graders loved reading about a Bklyn kid making in their neighborhood! Bravo to Mr. McBride and to Ruth McBride for reaching ever upwards at whatever costs. I am currently in search of all the free museum trips, concerts & plays I can find. I, too, will drag my youngones to all the culture I can. Thank you, Ruth!
Atiqur R. Mufti (01/08/03)

This book is very inspiring and i wish i can meet Ruth McBride and i can appreciate her struggling through out her life. I will also appreciate Mr james McBride that he wrote her mother's life story in a very good manners. This book have every thing which a good book should have.
Diamante Poettana (11/14/02)

"I have read this great book, and also I only wished I can actually see this actual family by the way the book was written by Mr. McBride and probably go back in time to see this struggling family do their hardwork and survive."
- D.L. Poettania(Terrell Antoine Waiters), the C.E.O. of T-Train Powerhouse Enterprises, Brooklyn, N.Y.
nikkie (11/03/02)

<< great is the art of beginning , but even greater is the art of ending... >>

--Longfellow
This novel was outstanging. It makes me look at things from a different view now.
MacBride is a superb author.
Mary (11/03/02)

This was an incredible story of a family that had a definate story to tell. I highly recommend it. It will make you see people in this world very different. Ruth and James are incredible people.

• Book Jacket: I See You
    I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh
    Clare MackIntosh has written a haunting thriller that has kept our readers at the edge of their ...
  • Book Jacket: Perfect Little World
    Perfect Little World
    by Kevin Wilson
    It might be the beginning of a tragic story: Izzy Poole falls in love with her mentally unstable ...
  • Book Jacket: Pachinko

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Typewriter's Tale
    by Michiel Heyns

A thought-provoking novel on love, art and life fully lived.

We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are

K Your F C