Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

by James McBride

The Color of Water by James McBride X
The Color of Water by James McBride

Feb 1996, 228 pages
    Feb 1997, 228 pages

There are currently 97 reader reviews for The Color of Water

lillian (10/31/04)

This book touched my heart. It was beautifully written in a unigue manner in wich we get two stories in one. It showed me how the power of love surpasses race, social and economic levels. I take with me the the feeling of empowerment. That my friends, is honest, brilliant writting at its best.
Sarah (10/19/04)

This book is amazing. Once you begin reading you cannot stop. You will have to remind yourself that these events did actually happen to real people.
Keisha Mason (10/13/04)

This book was beyond excellent....I luv the way James include his story and his mothers....and also how they came together...so well.......
victor11 (09/10/04)

i really liked this book - it gives us many lessons of life - first of all adversity gives a person the strength to fight against all the difficulties .Ruth McBride fought against all odds ,and brought up all her children succesfully .they became doctors ,writers etc....!!!!!!! she went through a lot of problems from her childhood to her adulthood .she inspired her children to fight against all the difficulties in life and cross all the hurdles with determination and courage .she never let her children form negative opinions regarding distinctions in color etc ...!!! i loved this book .iam a high school student .this book was a novel as part of our curriculum .I recommend this book to all students and even adults out there!!! it is indeed a tribute to every mother !!!!!!!!
TextText
emeka oli (08/20/04)

this book was a very good one. it's a good motivation and gives me the faith never loose hope.
emmeline (08/14/04)

A great book, a story of a young man searching to find his identity and uncoverying his mom's on the way. It helped me realize that heritegde is truly important no matter what race we are that what we have to remember our ancestors by.
Age 16
CJ (05/24/04)

I felt this book was an inspiriation to me and my heritage becuase It deals with a lot of the issues that I am facing racism in my life becuase of my race and this book gave me confort and a sence of security. Much love to my brother James McBride
calamia (05/15/04)

This book is very interested I hope it bring back memories from the past as other people read it. As I was reading this book it brought back memories of slavery.

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund