Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Dave (05/04/04)

I thought the book was well written and had many well thought out underlying themes that we can all learn from. However, I think she overstepped the boundary with her story. I don't agree with her views on America, the government, and Americans in general. She has shamed the entire country by rejecting its citizens in this book. This book only contributes to the stereotype of Americas that is prevalent around the world. Very few Americans are like Nathan and the American government is not as power hungary and greedy as portrayed in this book. It is completely acceptable for Kingsolver to believe this because I believe in freedom of expression, however, I think she should move to France!
Brad (04/23/04)

One of the best books I've ever read.
Lauren (04/14/04)

This boos is absolutly amazing and I would reccomed it to anyone who wish to read a book that is life altering. This book is about religion but you do not have to know anything about it to understand. If I could give it more stars I would!!!
erin (04/07/04)

It was the best book ever, with unique and individual characters. You dont even have to read which character is. You have to read this book
Nicole (02/28/04)

This ranks as one of the best books I have ever read. As a mother of three daughters, I found myself relating in different ways to the four girls and then to my own girls. I loved the way Barbara gave each narrator such an individual voice, I didn't need to check who was talking. A great insight into the Congo in the 50's, beautifully written. A masterpiece!
Helen (02/26/04)

This book was amazing! i was only reading it for my english author paper but i got really into it and i think it's worth while for everyone to read it. there is to much to be learnt from it!!
Nina Kern (02/03/04)

This was an excellent book. The only hindering factor is that it is difficult to read at some parts. But it is insightful, enjoyable and thought-provoking.
book reading expert (01/26/04)

I hate this book!

by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

He has only half learned the art of reading who has not added to it the more refined art of skipping and skimming.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: