Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver

The Poisonwood Bible

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Sam (06/13/04)

I am a 22 male and found the book to be very enjoyable. It is not a light-hearted story however, the author does a very good job of conveying the suffering and struggle of the Price family and the state of the Congo during that period of history. The story was able to elicit emotions from this reader. As most good books; mostly sympathy for the Price girls and contempt for the father. The story even is able to manage some suspense to keep the pages turning closer to the end of the novel. I do believe that the story may appeal to females more than their counterparts. Not only because the story is told compeletely from a feminine view point, but the nature of their common tragedy may be more receptive to girls. My two cents.
~ (06/07/04)

I'm a high school student and read this tedious book for my ap 11 english class. The plot was too slow for the story line. i feel kingsolver woulc have had a much better book if she cut out all the biblical allusions because, as a non-christian, i honestly had no idea what she was talking about. THe constant religious reference failed to bring any metaphorical enlightenment to me, they only built a wall between mean and the text so that rather than draw u in i felt locked out. Her long descriptions of the congo at first are refreshing samples of imagery however she incessantly interrupts the story and disturbs the flow of the storyline with these repetitive bursts of imagery. My advice is to NOT waste your time toiling with this 600+ page book and in the true AP student fashion: read the sparknotes or cliffs notes both conveniently found ONLINE.eMailZ
Kyle (06/07/04)

This book lacks any plot twists, and therefore lacks the ability to keep it's readers interested. It's contents will give you more femenistic perspective than you could possibly want or need, and contains about the amount of excitement and drama you would attain from going to church. Trust me on this one: Do not waste hours of your time to read this as dull as it is long 600 page book.
Becky (06/03/04)

I read this book, and I read many books, and thought that this was a very well developed book. Although the plot line was lacking action, there were deeper messages that were not just metaphorical, but expressed through the actual encounters of the characters and through the reactions of the community and family. It was an excellent represenation of a family from Georgia in the 1950s, portraying the stereotypes and other opinions that would be common to those certain peoples.
Jessica (06/03/04)

Im 17 and the poisonwood bible was sooooo great! it kept my attention and made me want to keep reading! (keep in mind that i am not a regular reader)
Lefty (06/02/04)

I'm sorry some people out there that actually enjoy reading a 600 page book that follows a thin plot line and feels like fingernails on a chalkboard. Personally i would rather use the book to give myself papercuts.
Nancy (06/01/04)

This book gave me an insight into a way of life I could never have imagined. The starvation, the danger from the wildlife and diseases were all brought into sharp focus by Kingsolver. Initially, the book had trouble holding my attention but the longer the Prices were in the Congo the more interested I became. Being a mother myself, it was very hard to understand, why Orleanna even brought her children into the Congo and even more baffling why she continued to stay. Even with the insights provided by the author into the character, I found her inability to act to protect her children infuriating. The father character was unspeakably deplorable to put his family at risk. Due to his actions, every single one of the family members he was ultimately responsible for suffered loss and had the course of their lives changed for the worse, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Adah. While I believe the book to be well written and informative, I can't say that I really loved this book because it left me with such a feeling of hopelessness and disappointment in humanity.
Keyton Williams (05/30/04)

I disliked the book very much. I believe the Americans were portrayed under a stereotype. Along with this the book just seems to be the kind of book you would read if your suicidal. It never truly has happy moments. The book itself is very dark and brooding. Although it did have some prodigious points, it just seemed too 600 pages too much of unnecessary negativity.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.