Reader reviews and comments on The Poisonwood Bible, plus links to write your own review.

by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 1998, 543 pages
    Sep 1999, 560 pages

There are currently 131 reader reviews for The Poisonwood Bible

Ashley B. (08/13/05)

The Poisonwood Bible
I am going to be a senior in high school this upcoming year and had to read The Poisonwood Bible. I am almost finished reading it, but not quite done yet. The beginning was slightly discouraging and throughout the book, there were a few down parts where nothing much was really happening, but overall I have found it to be a very good book. I suggest you have some interest to really getting into though, it was fairly challenging.
u dont needa kno (08/09/05)

Poisonwood Bible
OMG it is a horrible book... i had to read it for school --don't waste your time.. i really didn't enjoy it..
Sasha (02/25/05)

Thought provoking. The lengths countries can go to in keeping the wealth for themselves at the expense of the people of another country. Missionary work? Got to wonder if people we know who are doing just that, is it possilble wealth is a factor?
India Foutain (02/16/05)

I absolutly loved this book. Though true it is depressing you can't help but feel that Nathan got exactlly what he deserved
CJ (01/21/05)

Best book listened to in quite a while-and I read a lot!
Alex (01/11/05)

Well written book that shows the hipocracy of the American governmant and the ignorance of the American people very well. The character of Rachel is a classic example of a typical middle/upper class American woman (i.e very ignorant and naive to what is going on in the world around her). All Americans (and Europeans as myself) to read this book should feel ashamed of our nations for exploiting many of the third world countries for our own good and to improve of our way of life. The book shows highly how the American government used the "fear tactic" to justify their being in The Congo/Zaire, the "fear factor" being making the American people believe that the people of The Congo/Zaire (and other colonised countries) were actually a threat to America and the American people. Well done to Barbera Kingsolver for trying to open peoples eyes to the shocking truth.
Anonymous (01/02/05)

wonderful stuff..couldn't put it down
Nicole (12/23/04)

I am 18 years old and I read this book in my English Literary class, and I enjoyed it more than most of the books I have read in school. It was very well-written and I enjoyed the way Kingsolver wrote each part of the book. The allusions to the bible were also very interesting and I enjoyed how each character evolved through the book.

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review