Reader reviews and comments on A Night Without Armor, plus links to write your own review.

A Night Without Armor

by Jewel Kilcher

A Night Without Armor by Jewel Kilcher

May 1998, 160 pages
    Aug 1999, 160 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for A Night Without Armor

leoniez (12/19/06)

Not bad at all
I picked this book up at my school library and thought that it was truly a refreshing read. Sure, some of her poems may not be as polished as the works of great writers like Eliot or Heaney, but they have earned the right to be called poetry too.

Her works leap from an adult impulse to a childlike freedom, and through her curt prose, allow you to soak in the emotions on your own without painting on too much. Although the inevitable cliches of writing about love and lost are ever-present in this collection, Jewel is not one to mince her words into pretty rhythms and her poetry manages to strike you with enough clarity of a face-to-face dialogue.

Nevertheless, if you are looking for FABULOUS poetry, this book wouldn't provide much. Go buy Szymborska.
Marta Miscichowska (04/07/05)

Intruiging and Inspiring
This book is an easy read which makes it more appealing to people who are not familiar with poetry.
It is well written and raw, I enjoyed it and recommend it as a late night read.
Erica (02/06/05)

I am 18 and I found this poetry book very inspiring. I do not agree with the review written earlier about Jewel's poetry. When reading this you will find that some things are very straight forward and other poems have a deeper meaning to them. The entire book is brutely honest. I find it refreshing to hear from an artist that their life was never nor is now perfect. Jewel speaks the truths and writes about every type of emotions. If you're feeling something and want something to relate to, you will be able to find a poem in here that will help.
max (05/20/04)

this book was VG, jewel was bold and wrote what she felt wich (to me) is brave.
It was in a form of poetry that is rarely (if ever) used like in her song 'Peaces of you" she used one emotion to inflict meany emotions.
this singer/poet has never disapointed me.
Sarah J (04/06/04)

i feel that the only reason this book was published was because she was a popular singer. if it were anyone else i feel this book would have gone no where. personally i think her style is very elementry and to me it seems like she wrote the book in a day using little thought. i do not feel she should be praised for her unskilled writing and i would not recomend this book to an enimy.
Richard David (10/16/03)

I have always listened to jewels music, she has inspired me numerous times. I had the chance to read her book "A Night Without Armor" for the first time when i saw it at our local library. i could not put it down. I read the book all the way through the first time and am currently working on an assighnment about my new favorite poet. Im 19 and attending North Country Comunity College. Loved the book and i hope to be reading more from Jewel in the future.
Kathy (07/29/03)

This is an amazing book. Jewel Kilcher is a very talented poet, author, singer and song writer. You will not be disappointed.
Duncan (06/09/03)

I love the book's image and creative uses of feeling and certainty. It's an ill book, and even though there are some that are slightly over my head, it's my favorite! So much emotion, jewel is a lady with something to say. I especially like how she takes little life experiences, observations, and memories and finds a brilliant way to portray them... Did "I spell brilliant wrong?

The Summer Before the War
    Tender
    by Belinda McKeon

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place

K Your F C