Reader reviews and comments on A Widow For One Year, plus links to write your own review.

A Widow For One Year

by John Irving

A Widow For One Year by John Irving X
A Widow For One Year by John Irving

Apr 1998, 537 pages
    Mar 1999, 537 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for A Widow For One Year

forever (06/16/03)

An aspect of this book that really stuck with me was the characters John Irving created. Critics were skeptical of the characters, but I really identified with some of them. Ruth is fairly non-descript, she isn't an unusually good protagonist. It is the background characters, the secondaries, that really caught me. Some of them are so tragic, and maybe they aren't spectacular people but that makes my sympathy go out to them even more. Keep your eye on Hannah, she may seem like a tagged secondary at first, but she became one of my favorites.
Kin (06/12/03)

This book is excellent. Characters are well developed, the story is exciting, and there are really deep, touching, and meaningful messages that John Irving tries to convey. If readers spend the time to really think about the story after having read it, they will find the book to be very meaningful.
Eddie (04/21/03)

The immoral stuff is just too tempting. It can understood as a cover up to the main themes of the story. Quite frankly, this book is very fast paced, and if you are perverted and want to satisfy your ego, this book is perfect to fullfil your sinful desires.
a (02/05/03)

This is the first book of John Irving that I have read and I found it very disappointing. Frankly I couldn't see what is the purpose of the book. With all the main characters of the book being writers especially very mediocre ones I fail to see what the writer wanted to convey. None of the characters are likeable. and there is an utter sense of boredom to the whole book despite a quick pace. Totally pointless.
Erin (11/14/02)

Sure, the book was a little predictable..but getting there was the most fun I've had in a while. The characters are so well developed and loveable and the story is fascinating. I whole-heartedly reccomend this book.
--D-- (06/15/02)

Okay. Is it just me? ?
This is the first Irving novel that I have read, and quite frankly. . . I fail to see what all the hoopLa was about. I found this novel to
be trite and predictable instead of the treasure trove of complexity that I had hoped--or was told--it to be.
All in all, based on this site's five-point scale, I'd rate it a 2.5. (We'll round it to three). There were *definitely* moments of some humor and intrigue, to be sure; but the general simplicity of the novel--in its characterizations, language, plot, etc.--disappointed me.
((shrug)) As this is my first Irving novel, perhaps another work of his might better reflect the reason for the magnitude of this author's following. Then again... this wouldn't be the first time a widely acclaimed, bestselling popular novelist fails to impress me.
--D--
Spanish teacher (05/17/02)

As in on all the other Irving novels he always walks that fine line with his deaths of children.
He laid a full table and sent the guests away satisfied (rewiew from wallowa_woman).
I would recommend it to his fans and to iniciate those who are new with the author.
As a spanish teacher studying english I can't say more.
Thank you.
Egle (05/13/02)

Well, I found this book not so much interesting as another books by Irving, which I have read. For me, the best one is The Son of a Circus, i suppose this book is far better then A Widow for One Year.

• Book Jacket: I Found My Tribe

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes