Reader reviews and comments on Victoria, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Discuss |  Reviews |  Readalikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

Nov 2016, 352 pages
    Sep 26, 2017, 416 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Victoria

Joanne V. (Towanda, PA) (11/02/16)

Early years of Queen Victoria
I am not a particular fan of Daisy Goodwin's novels, but found this one to be an easy and interesting read about the first few years of Queen Victoria's reign. The character of Lord Melbourne was most interesting and I thought, the best developed. It was also interesting to note how little we have progressed in the notion that women can be capable rulers. I admired Victoria's independence, but that was probably due more to Melbourne's influence than anything else. It gave her a good foundation for her long reign.
Karen L. (Antelope, CA) (11/02/16)

Good for YA readers
This book has a lot of buzz, in part because of the tv miniseries, but in my view, the book fails to live up to the hype. Historical fiction is tricky, and while the concept of the Queen Victoria as a teenager is fresh, I was disappointed in the development of all the characters. Victoria herself seemed a lot more teenage style icon than queen, and it was difficult to understand the fascination that she held for Melbourne. Similarly, the end of one relationship in favor of Albert seemed rushed and unlikely to me. But the London setting, Buckingham Palace, and the clothes all made a positive contribution to the story. All in all, I still prefer "An American Heiress."
Shawna L. (Pearland, TX) (11/02/16)

Love Historical Fiction & BBC period dramas?
If you enjoy historical fiction or BBC period dramas, this is the book for you!

An easy to read fictionalized account of Victoria as she turns 18 and becomes the Queen of England. While much is know about her lengthy reign as Queen, very little is told about this period of her life. The book is well written and would provide for a good discussion.

Having read another Daisy Goodwin book, I hope she has another book started!

[Editor's Note: You're in luck Shawna - Daisy has two other novels already published]
Carolyn D. (Chico, CA) (11/02/16)

A Different View
As the author points out, we usually think of Victoria as a very mature and dour woman. This story, highlighting her early years, was a good and interesting read; and pretty accurate in its fact. As the basis for the Masterpiece series, it just can't miss. The book should have a HUGE audience. Because it is historically presentable, most readers will enjoy the story and the history.
Deborah P. (Dunnellon, FL) (10/31/16)

Daisy Goodwin's current novel "Victoria" is an account of Queen Victoria during the early years of her life and a historical account of the early Victorian period in England. I was surprised that Goodwin did not include a family tree to explain the numerous relationships. I have an interest in this period and found that the author had no difficulty introducing characters and their relationships' as part of the narrative. It was fun to read about history as part of a story as opposed to dry facts. I highly recommend "Victoria" to anyone who enjoys a well written novel and / or English history.
Aleksandra E. (Alpharetta, GA) (10/31/16)

Informative & engaging
This was not my first novel by Daisy Goodwin and I really love her writing style and Victoria was no exception! I found the book to be insightful as well as informative. It had all the pertinent aspects of what made Victoria become the leader she was while still presenting this in a thoroughly engaging novel format. I found myself wanting to know more about her and I would say any novel that does that is well worth reading.
Kathryn S. (St. Helena Island, SC) (10/30/16)

I am a big fan of historical fiction, but this book does not count among my favorites. It is an easy to read love story, begins in 1835, two years prior to Victoria's ascent to the throne, and ends with her proposal to Albert in 1839. Victoria's less-than-satisfactory relationship with her mother and her mother's power-hungry friend, Sir John Conroy, are explored. On the romantic front, her quasi-romantic relationship with her prime minister, Lord Melbourne, dominates the book. In the last few chapters, husband-to-be Albert finally comes to the fore. After a brief courtship, Victoria manages to win Albert. Or is it he who manages to win her? The best I can say is that the book did spur me to further reading about the social and political milieu into which Victoria found herself thrust at the age of 18.
Elizabeth K. (Glenshaw, PA) (10/30/16)

How could a very sheltered 18 year old girl cope with suddenly becoming the queen of England? The book, Victoria, gives us a glance of the first few years of her reign. The book is, more or less, a love story of her feelings for the father figure and kind prime minister. As she sees Albert in different light from their meeting several years ago. She begins her marriage and future.

My Name Is Leon