Reader reviews and comments on Lily and the Octopus, plus links to write your own review.

Lily and the Octopus

by Steven Rowley

Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley

Jun 2016, 320 pages
    May 2017, 320 pages

Sharry Wright

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Lily and the Octopus

Stephanie

How Can You Not Love This Book!
It's got an adorable dog. It's got a guy who loves the adorable dog. In addition, he named the dog Lily (as opposed to something like Schnitzel) because he knew the dog was going to be his friend, his companion and possibly the most important living creature in his life.

The write up refers to his therapist as "ineffective". I think that the relationship between Edward and his therapist is much more complicated than that. He's annoyed by her seemingly simple/simplistic questions, but then he's also annoyed when he asks if an octopus is a fish and she says she believes it's a cephalopod. At that point, he seems to think she's smart, but in the wrong way.

Of course, it's very sad, but it ends on a hopeful note and, no matter what happens, Lily is always with Edward.
Paula Jacunski

Exceptional!
If you've had a deep connection with an animal, you might like this book. It is true, fanciful, sad, magical, and overwhelming. It's still with me.
Vera Mallard

Love In It's Highest Form Unconditional And Unending
What an emotional heart wrenching roller coaster story of love, grief, acceptance, and letting go! I have read several books I felt I was not skilled enough in prose to do justice; this is one of those books. I hope this review will inspire you to run and buy this book.

STORY LINE:

Ted is gay, quirky, lonely, has issues and is in therapy with a therapist that just doesn't get him. Lily, a dachshund, is Ted's faithful companion, his friend, his rock, his sounding board, his greatest love. Ted raised Lily from twelve weeks of age and they have a bond that only someone who has a beloved pet could understand. Ted discovers an octopus on Lily's head. The crisis of his life is about to begin as he and Lily must come to terms with mortality and what living really means.

Come along with Ted and Lily as they journey through life.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:

This story is about grief, unconditional love, unconditional companionship, and the unconditional emotional support that runs between Ted and Lily and how Ted deals with his and Lily's problems. Mr. Rowley's uses the octopus as an analogy of the crisis in Ted and Lily's life. Lily's crisis is medical, Ted's is emotional. Mr. Rowley skillfully created a story which expertly shows that we can run from the piper but the piper must be paid and we as humans must grieve, pick ourselves up, carry on, and live life to the fullest.

I found myself crying tears of sadness and heartache; I also laughed out loud as the conversations between Lily and Ted were hilarious. I ran the gauntlet of emotions reading this story. This novel is an emotional roller coaster ride from start to finish; Author Steven Rowley grabs you deep in your heart and does not let go. Mr Rowley's talent is clear as he weaves this wonderful tale of life and love; he brings your emotions to the surface.

This story has many levels and depths. Mr. Rowley sets the hook in the first pages and then reels you into the story. It is a "not to be missed" book of grief, living life to the fullest, acceptance, and love; all expertly crafted by Mr. Rowley.

RECOMMENDATION: 5 STARS

This is one of the best books I have read this year; few books have affected me as this one. I highly recommend this book by a talented author. This book is suitable for readers that like a solid well-developed and paced story. I look forward to Mr. Rowley's next book.

I received this book from Netgalley.com in return for an honest book review. Book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion; book reviews on line under my name are my opinion.

The Dachshund