Reader reviews and comments on Snow Falling On Cedars, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Falling On Cedars

by David Guterson

Snow Falling On Cedars

Sep 1994, 345 pages
    Sep 1995, 460 pages

There are currently 44 reader reviews for Snow Falling On Cedars

K. Smith
This book combines mystery, historical fact, and moral message into a well written and exciting work. Although at times overly detailed, I felt the book was compelling and well-written. It was one of those book you do not want to put down and despite its length I remained interested throughout.

Seymour Butts
A relatively good story idea, horribly brutalized by too much unnecessary detail and imagery. It's not that it's long, it's that it's so long you find yourself reading over the same pages trying desperately to comprehend. Though it is absorbing at some sections for the majority it is a dull read. A must for insomniacs.

L. Littlewood
Having read this book three times, I feel I have a certain standing in making this contribution. The idea for the story is intriguing (which is why I bought it, along with the fact that it had won a PEN/Faulkner Award), however, the execution was poorly done, and monotonous. Descriptions were not inspiring, and instead of enhancing the book, made it cumbersome and unappealing. Just to demonstrate how very dull I found this book: I came to the second last page, put it down and didn't think about it for a week. Needs a fair degree of willpower and it is derogatory to John Grisham to have this book compared with his novels (though they are markedly different styles of legal 'thrillers').
A. Rawson (08/12/01)

This book starts out very slow but picks up. Once you realize the flashbacks are relivant to the story it becomes more interesting. If you start to read it and decide to put it down, wait until you are at Chapter 10 or 11. I promise the story does pick up. I turned out to be a pretty good book.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review