Reader reviews and comments on The Opposite of Everyone, plus links to write your own review.

The Opposite of Everyone by Joshilyn Jackson

Feb 2016, 352 pages
    Oct 2016, 352 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Opposite of Everyone

Christine P. (Gig Harbor, WA) (12/07/15)

I struggled with this novel. I'm not sure if it's because of the subject matter or just going into the dark, rainy days of winter. Mother/daughter relationships, abandonment, foster care, divorce, and alcoholism are the tough issues included here. Paula, the main character, is prickly and hard to like but that is exactly how she is supposed to be and by the time I got to the end of the novel, I admired the skill with which she was written. My favorite parts were when Joshilyn Jackson wove Hindu myths into the telling of Paula and Kai's story. I'm glad I stuck with the book because the ending was just beautiful. I know the perfect friends to recommend this book to.
Jean G. (Rockford, IL) (12/05/15)

In Spite of it All
Many novels have a common theme of family and how childhood affects all but this book tells of a totally uncommon family life due to a most incompetent mother figure and her impact on the children. Elements such as Hinduism, karma, and mystics play a part that make the reading a little strange at times. Word choices can also be challenging. The protagonist called herself "an amalgamated girl who felt like me". The characters do have good depth and are mostly likable. The many flashbacks fit into the story well once the reader understands the author's style. It did hold my interest as I cared what the conclusion might be. Book clubs would probably enjoy following the protagonist through life and examining her choices and future.
Jane R. (Tucson, AZ) (12/03/15)

TheOpposite of Everyone
I am sorry to say that I didn't finish this book. I read all but the last 25 or so pages but just couldn't stay interested. I thought the writing was immature and the character not believable. I have worked with foster children for 15 years and the book just didn't ring true to me.
Power Reviewer Catherine H. (Nashua, NH) (12/01/15)

Sorry but not for me this time...
As I was reading this book, I wondered if this was the same author who wrote such a poetic story as "The girl who stopped swimming" or sad and tender "Grown up kind of pretty"?

"The opposite of everyone" is the story Paula and her mother "Kai" and of a troubled childhood which I thought hard to believe in. Some of the vocabulary and style was sometimes trashy and vulgar.

As I said, sorry but not for me this time....
Dona H. (Muskegon, MI) (11/30/15)

Strong appeal
At first I wasn't sure Paula wasn't just another hard boiled detective/lawyer, but this story is so much more. The suspenseful story of her current life and flashbacks to her broken family drew me in emotionally to the very end. I'm sure reading groups would find plenty to discuss here. I hope to read more by Joshilyn Jackson.
Teresa R. (Evansville, IN) (11/29/15)

Not Joshilyn Jackson's Best
The premise of this book is very good, but there was way too many of her mother's fairy tales for me. Reminded me of "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry". Another book that was just too mythical for me. Loved the bones of this book, just wish it had less mysticism.
Amy M. (Southlake, TX) (11/29/15)

Thank you to Book Browse for the ARC of The Opposite of Everyone, by Joshilyn Jackson, I am anxious to share this book with Carroll Senior High Book Club, Southlake, TX. Once I got into this book, I was hooked. Having just recently losing my mother, I was caught up in the mother/daughter dynamics and how her mother, Kai, despite many shortcomings, always wanted her daughter to be proud of her roots and succeed in life. This book is full of love, twists, and finding the true meaning of family and real love. I loved the ending and how everything came together so sweetly, despite some unpleasantness along the way. I hope readers will give this book a chance and learn as much about themselves as I did.
Power Reviewer Joan P. (Owego, NY) (11/28/15)

I am an impatient reader and always feel annoyed when a plot thread is interrupted for a flashback or in this case a mythological tale. Joshilyn Jackson is a skilled writer and in her hands this device is well done and makes sense. This was the best way to explain the characters and how their history made them who they are. Having taught twelve year olds for close to fifty years, I never quite understood the bond between a child and a dysfunctional parent. Kai, the mother, kept her children, Paula the angry one, Julian the one she gave away, and the child she left behind when she died, tied to her with her great love. This is a great book for book clubs. There is a lot to discuss.

The Tridevi in Hinduism

by Roxane Gay

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Happiness
    by Heather Harpham

A love story that follows a one-of-a-kind family through twists of fate that require nearly unimaginable choices.

Win Hame