Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs of a Geisha

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

Melissa Brady (05/25/03)

This book is so great!!! I really got me back into reading. This is my favorite book!!! I loved the story, I really learned a lot too...
Jesselyn Yap (05/24/03)

I am extreamely critical of books which proudly proclaim, "New York Bestseller List for over a year!" I find book like that are usually high over-rated anyway. So you can imagine my surprise and delight to find that "Memoirs of a Geisha" deserves every single week it spent on the Bestseller's List. Golden writes in a wonderful woman's voice so much so one can't hardly believe that the story is NOT something a geisha had dictated. Sayuri makes a wonderful modern heroine, and the story holds you captive from the very first page. Golden's prose is alluring and whimsical and he succeeds in capturing the essence of the Japanese language in English in ways never thought possible.
Anonymous (05/07/03)

An awsome well written novel!!!
Audrey (04/27/03)

This book was written really well. Until the very end when you read the comments, there is no way of knowing that this story was not told to Golden, but rather moreso fiction. It is a great story about a girl comong into realizations about her mother's death and losing every other part of her family she has. She grows up and gets revenge against those who wronged her in the beginning and geld her back for so long. I recommend this book to any one who reads it. It was great for me, a teenager, and it would be great for older people as well.
Abby (03/27/03)

This book is a wonderful reminder and clarification on how life is like in other countries. Many individuals in America have the inclination and the belief that geisha are in fact prostitutes but Memoirs clearly depicts the life of a geisha as nothing other than a friend to a man.
~Angelica~ (02/24/03)

Once I started to read Memoirs of a Geisha, I could not let go of the book. I kept reading, but at the same time did not want the bo0k to come to an end. This book gave me the opportunity to indulge a bit of the Japanese culture. The descriptions were so vivid I felt like I had already seen the film.
fiona (02/21/03)

I first read Memoirs of a Geisha in year eight, now I am reviewing it for year twleve literature. Memoirs of a Geisha has to be one of the best novels I have ever read. I knew nothing of the world of a geisha when I first began reading, but was quickly prompted to do some extra research. I found that at times I lost the real world and was transported into the novel, and experience which I had never had before. The subtle elegance of description throughout the novel, drew me even closer a second time around.
I laughed, I cried, and at times grew very angry at Sayuri's situation. This is truly an excellent novel, Golden is to be commended.
Jesse (01/06/03)

I found this book at the back of my wardrobe a couple of days ago and have already finished it. Memoirs of a Geisha would have to be one of the most captivating books I have ever read. It made me laugh, it made be mad and it also made me sad. The writer, Authur Golden, while reading this book, created a world where you felt you were also living. You came to understand and accept the way a Geisha lives. I fell in love with the character of Sayuri, what an amazing women. While reading this book all I wanted was for Sayuri's dreams to come true and in the end I guess in some way they did. Congratulations to the author on an oustanding novel.amazing women

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review