Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs of a Geisha, plus links to write your own review.

by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden X
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Sep 1997, 434 pages
    Jan 1999, 434 pages

There are currently 104 reader reviews for Memoirs of a Geisha

carlos (12/06/09)

questions
Sayuri tells her story with such gentle courtesy and determination that you are quickly brought under the spell of her character. She takes you by the hand and leads you into a world that is both formal and intimate, a world that I had only before glimpsed in the fleeting and beautiful images of traditional Japanese ink painting...Memoirs of a Geisha is a wonderful achievement.
Marg Riel (11/15/09)

masterpiece
Memoirs of A Geisha can be described as one word; "masterpiece." Each detail creates an unexplainable imagine and you can envision yourself in the story. The author tells her story willingly and purposely allows the reader to put themselves in her shoes as she tells you about each step of her journey through life. This book is has some advanced concepts at times, but I believe should be recommended to people of all ages both men and women. A certain respect can be gained from this book.
Linda Gear (09/15/09)

Memoirs of a Geisha
I love this book. It will always be near me. I have read it numerous times and never tire of it.
I read other books, but this one is always nearby.(I also have the movie).
I love the dialogue of Sayuri her raw story of being cruelly taken from her home, and her deliverance from her fate.
Her faith and her strength to keep fighting for her wish, even though many times it certainly looked like she was doomed.
The words between her and the Chairman at the end of the book are so unbelievably sweet and real. I love these characters.
This book comforts me every time I pick it up.
Many thanks to Arthur Goldman for your wonderful work, you have won my heart with this eloquent story, and have kept me sane.
sayuri (09/05/09)

moag
Nice! Captivating!
Jamila Younis (04/26/09)

Great
If you'd like to enrich your knowledge with the extraordinary history of the Geisha issue in the Japanese folks - then I highly recommend on you to read this novel.
It is really rich with exact details- even the minimal features- of things. The writer seems very talented and has an attractive way to makes things be - feel and look - Japanese. Enjoy reading- like I did.
Gene R. Hyde (04/21/09)

Memoirs of a Geisha
I thought it was an elegantly written book, not without controversy, about a culture I’m truly fascinated with. I could vividly see myself in a Japanese Tea House, and all of the exquisite richness of simplicity, obsessive love, and pain, while reading this book. The immense detail in which the author researched and quality of his prose made this novel immensely enjoyable.
Corey (03/18/09)

Very diifferent
This has to got to be one of the best books I have ever read. I love the author's style of writing it gave me the impression that this was written by the girl who lived through all of this, that's how much detail to Japanese culture there is. I would recommend this book to anyone really, although I'm sure only a select few of kids would enjoy it.
Kristina-Marie (08/16/08)

This book was beyond amazing
I am a fussy reader. Really, really fussy. If a book doesn't have me entertained within the first three sentences then that's it and I am gone. However there came to be a difference with 'Memoirs of a Geisha', it has a quality of elegance in it's style of writing and it's grasp of Japanese culture. This book was beyond amazing, and truly the best fiction novel I have ever read in my life. Worth every word to read and leaves you smiling when it's finished. The memoirs of Sayuri and her journey are purely fascinating and will leave you with a secret love for anything to do with kimono's, tea houses or Japanese theater :)

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund