MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Bridget Jones's Diary, plus links to write your own review.

Bridget Jones's Diary

by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary

May 1998, 271 pages
    May 1999, 267 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Bridget Jones's Diary

Lisa (12/02/10)

Wonderful
I´m from Germany and I read the book because I had do to at school. but I think it´s very good and funny and I like to read it. But sometimes it was difficult for me to understand all. And so I can´t say if the book is the same like the film, or if there are some differences.
Kerry (04/21/09)

Fantastic
Of course the book is all about Bridget's feelings and emotions....it's a diary!! I think anyone, man or woman, would quietly admit to themselves the selfish thoughts they have when something terrible happens to someone they know, Bridget is just doing that in her diary. The book provides an excellent outlet for anyone woman who feels the pressures of impending singledom, rubbish careers and crazy parents and it makes the reader see that IT'S OK NOT TO BE PERFECT! We love Bridget 'cos she is fun, honest and finds true love even though she is (shock! horror!) average and has arse the size of Brazil. Obviously not for everyone but one of the best reads I have come across and a must for any single girl :)
Caro (02/16/07)

critic
well, i've read the book only because i had to read it at school. i'm sure most women feel like bridget in some things. however, i don't think she's a normal woman. she feels overweight. i consider it dangeruos, at least in my society, to show a person that feels bad when she looks at herself only because she's a bit fat. it carries some health problems for those girls who want to stay fit, and they dont eat and thaey get thinner and thinner till they get ill.
the book is ok, but not the main charater
Crystalee (07/04/05)

Funny!
I laughed so much at this book, and it was a quick read too. It's a nice summer read for women. I could really relate to Bridget even though I am only 21. She is a real woman and a quick-witted one at that! Don't rent the movie; read the book!
Louise (03/01/05)

I really laughed at Bridget.
Ezhik (02/03/05)

Well, Hello!
I'm from Russia! I must say, that Helen Filding is one of the most popular writer nowadays, of course after the film being released. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!
Lynn (02/03/05)

I have read it -only because it was the only book I brought on a plane with me. Nothing much to it - except the antics of a spoiled single woman. The world needs help if people really relate to Bridget - because she is not what I consider the normal person. She is self-centered and expects the world to center on her - everything was about her and her feelings - she even showed her selfishness when her friend disappeared - and no one knew where he was. Her problems took precedence and it was another friend that called the police! And, she was mad that she should have because she was his best friend. More concern about her feelings than the person who has disappeared.
Una (01/11/05)

The film was great but the book was even better. I can't stop reading them and I can't wait for the third one to come out . Come on Helen...Write Away! You are my favourite author.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun