Reader reviews and comments on Hullabaloo In The Guava Orchard, plus links to write your own review.

Hullabaloo In The Guava Orchard

by Kiran Desai

Hullabaloo In The Guava Orchard

May 1998, 209 pages
    May 1999, 224 pages

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Hullabaloo In The Guava Orchard

Soph (05/01/14)

0/10 Would Not Recommend
He turns into a guava. What an original storyline! Although the author makes good use of language techniques the story line was feeble at best. The book defies all senses of logic, and I would only recommend if your into that kind of acid tripping like book.
chetna (04/03/13)

hullabaloo in the guava orchard
A refreshing read. Give it a try.
wasaa (12/28/12)

YEAH
I think the end of this book wasn't very good, but I have to say that the book had some very funny scenes. Overall I think it is a good book, although in some parts complicated to keep up with, but still a good book. There are some parts were the author just writes nonsense, making it a bit boring.
Claudio Zalzarete (11/22/12)

What a poor book
This is probably the worst book ever written. The author attempts to add humor with the form of monkeys... The incredibly boring and stupid plot is about a lazy and ill-educated Indian boy called Sampath, who leaves all of his responsibilities, to live in a tree with the monkeys, what a great example for kids these days. In my 37 years, I have never read such a poor book. I gave up reading after chapter 10. 1/5 poor
Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (04/25/12)

pleasure to read
Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard is the first novel by Kiran Desai. In the town of Shahkot, in the shadow of the Himalayan foothills, lives Sampath Chawla, a bored, dreamy Post Office clerk distinguishing himself with lacklustre career ambitions. When he manages to lose his job, his father, Mr Chawla, despairs that his son will ever amount to anything; his mother, Kulfi, says little, but then, she did come from a mad family; his sister Pinky finds him irritating and exasperating; his paternal grandmother, Ammaji, however, is convinced he will come good. Overwhelmed by the attention, Sampath decides to climb a tree in the Guava Orchard to be alone, to clear his thoughts, a deed that, unfortunately for Sampath, has quite the opposite effect. Convinced he is a hermit, people gather to hear his thoughts: this sets in motion events that will affect not only Sampath and his family, but the people of the district, the Chief Medical Officer, the Superintendent of Police, the Army Brigadier, the University researcher, the District Collector and even a spy from the Atheist Society. This novel has a cast of amusing characters, a plot with a few surprises and is filled with wonderful prose like: “A passing car sent its searchlight-glare crazy and liquid over the sides of the buildings and into the trees, revealing not the colours, the daylight solidity of things, but a world of dark gaps cut from an empty skin of light”. Desai is skilled at creating atmosphere and this novel has a uniquely Indian feel. This novel was a pleasure to read and it is easy to see why it won the Betty Trask Award in 1998.
mahendra.m (01/10/11)

monkey baba ...
Kiran Desai's novel Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard is a awesome book to enjoy, if you want to apply theories and read it that's also a good idea to look it from the post feminist and postcolonial view point. Try it once; it's worth reading. A good book
su (05/08/09)

Hullabaloo
This is the book which represents the power of internal strength i.e. if a person want then everything is possible for him in this world, and Kiran Desai has showed it very aptly and fluently.
meenakshi (12/12/06)

good book
It is really a very good book. It is a different story totally. VERY GOOD....thats all I can say. and I know its not a review....its a compliment.

Stalin's Daughter

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All