Reader reviews and comments on Girl With A Pearl Earring, plus links to write your own review.

Girl With A Pearl Earring

by Tracy Chevalier

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Dec 1999, 240 pages
    Dec 2000, 240 pages

There are currently 55 reader reviews for Girl With A Pearl Earring

Mike (11/03/02)

Chevalier really envisions seventeenth-century Holland by reincarnating Johannes Vermeer's paintings and brings an amusing tale of a young women to life.
Ruby (10/08/02)

1. In Girl with a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier treats us to a richly appointed portrait of intersecting faiths, fracturing family dynamics, erotic awakenings, community scandals, religious tensions, and aesthetic compromises-all filtered brilliantly through the eyes of the young narrator Griet, whose concise, wide-eyed perspective functions much like Vermeer's camera obscura, rendering with particularly sharp precision and subtle insight the character of 17th-century Delft itself...............

Note from BookBrowse: This is part of a discussion guide kindly contributed by Ruby. You will find the full text of this discussion guide in the reading guide section, along with another reading guide provided by the publisher, Penguin Putnam. Click on the link to 'Book Jacket and Reviews' above to find a link to the reading guide.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

I read the book because Ver Meer is my favorite artist and I saw the painting while I was in Holland. I have a copy of the picture of the girl with pitcher in my dining room as well as another, and everytime I see those paintings I think of the book which I thought was well done. So little is known of Ver Meer, the book at least brings a bit of the history of the times in which he lived. My reading group discussed the book and all agreed it was well-worth reading.
Lam (08/31/02)

This novel was great! Chevailer did a marvelous job enableing the reader to picture the whole story and see everything as Griet saw. Her ability to even "show" voices, as when Griet describes her mothers voice

<< a cooking pot, a flagon >>

made the novel even more interesting. I'm glad this book was assigned for my summer reading. It's a great book for highschool students like me, who enjoy reading and history.
Kim (08/14/02)

I disliked this book imensely. I found it very boring and it talked about nothing! I do not recommend this book for young readers. High school students will be very bored with it. Maybe Adults will like it but i thought it was terrible!
emily (06/26/02)

the story was interesting but i wonder what happened to frans
joyce (06/09/02)

the book is really awesome... i think the author is cool. she can describe and make us see the whole picture easily. i like the way she tells us about colors...it's great and yeah...the story itself is fantastic!!!
Angie (05/25/02)

I highly recommend this book. I was already familiar with Vermeer and this was an interesting perpective on a famous painting. I bought the book for that reason. But I finished reading, and keep remembering the book because of the story and the characters. One of the most enjoyable books.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant

Y S M B, I'll S Y