Reader reviews and comments on Girl With A Pearl Earring, plus links to write your own review.

Girl With A Pearl Earring

by Tracy Chevalier

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier X
Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Dec 1999, 240 pages
    Dec 2000, 240 pages

There are currently 55 reader reviews for Girl With A Pearl Earring

Mike (11/03/02)

Chevalier really envisions seventeenth-century Holland by reincarnating Johannes Vermeer's paintings and brings an amusing tale of a young women to life.
Ruby (10/08/02)

1. In Girl with a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier treats us to a richly appointed portrait of intersecting faiths, fracturing family dynamics, erotic awakenings, community scandals, religious tensions, and aesthetic compromises-all filtered brilliantly through the eyes of the young narrator Griet, whose concise, wide-eyed perspective functions much like Vermeer's camera obscura, rendering with particularly sharp precision and subtle insight the character of 17th-century Delft itself...............

Note from BookBrowse: This is part of a discussion guide kindly contributed by Ruby. You will find the full text of this discussion guide in the reading guide section, along with another reading guide provided by the publisher, Penguin Putnam. Click on the link to 'Book Jacket and Reviews' above to find a link to the reading guide.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

I read the book because Ver Meer is my favorite artist and I saw the painting while I was in Holland. I have a copy of the picture of the girl with pitcher in my dining room as well as another, and everytime I see those paintings I think of the book which I thought was well done. So little is known of Ver Meer, the book at least brings a bit of the history of the times in which he lived. My reading group discussed the book and all agreed it was well-worth reading.
Lam (08/31/02)

This novel was great! Chevailer did a marvelous job enableing the reader to picture the whole story and see everything as Griet saw. Her ability to even "show" voices, as when Griet describes her mothers voice

<< a cooking pot, a flagon >>

made the novel even more interesting. I'm glad this book was assigned for my summer reading. It's a great book for highschool students like me, who enjoy reading and history.
Kim (08/14/02)

I disliked this book imensely. I found it very boring and it talked about nothing! I do not recommend this book for young readers. High school students will be very bored with it. Maybe Adults will like it but i thought it was terrible!
emily (06/26/02)

the story was interesting but i wonder what happened to frans
joyce (06/09/02)

the book is really awesome... i think the author is cool. she can describe and make us see the whole picture easily. i like the way she tells us about colors...it's great and yeah...the story itself is fantastic!!!
Angie (05/25/02)

I highly recommend this book. I was already familiar with Vermeer and this was an interesting perpective on a famous painting. I bought the book for that reason. But I finished reading, and keep remembering the book because of the story and the characters. One of the most enjoyable books.

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund