Reader reviews and comments on China Dolls, plus links to write your own review.

by Lisa See

Jun 2014, 400 pages
    Mar 2015, 416 pages

Rebecca Foster

There are currently 3 reader reviews for China Dolls

Helene Frost (02/25/15)

China Dolls
Lisa See does not disappoint. Another blockbuster that kept me interested from beginning to end. Excellent character development. Another aspect of the effects of WWII that I have learned.
Linda Reck (06/06/14)

China Dolls
It's 1938 in San Francisco, and Helen, Grace and ruby, three women from very different backgrounds meet while they are performing in the glamorous Forbidden City nightclub. The girls become very good friends. When their dark secrets are revealed, their friendship stumble, but it finds it footing again and they keep dancing. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, everything changes.
The story alternates between their voice developing a multi-layered richness as it progresses. The characters are richly portrayed, although I had trouble differentiating who was speaking at certain times. It is a hard book to put down.
China Dolls mines a fascinating part of our cultural history. Lisa See's prose is shining as she takes us through an unforgettable journey of 50 years. I was impressed by the vast amount of research that went into the book.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (04/17/14)

China Dolls
I was excited to have an opportunity to receive and review this latest novel from Lisa See, who has been one of my favorite authors since I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, then later Shanghai Girls. See has a gift for placing her characters in intriguing historical settings and also for weaving an intricate tale of three women of diverse backgrounds whose relationships with each other are so complicated and emotionally evocative that as I continued reading, I had numerous changes of heart about whether I liked or disliked these women in turn. I did find much to admire in the way each overcame challenges.

Whether you are already a fan of Lisa See or have never read her work, I heartily recommend China Dolls.

San Francisco's Chinatown

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review