Reader reviews and comments on The Hollow Ground, plus links to write your own review.

The Hollow Ground

by Natalie S. Harnett

The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett X
The Hollow Ground by Natalie S. Harnett

May 2014, 336 pages
    Aug 2015, 336 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Hollow Ground

Ann D. (Clearfield, PA) (03/21/14)

The Hollow Ground
Auntie tells Brigid, the narrator of this novel, the tale of the "Great Forgetting" and the people of the pillaged town who would never know joy. Brigid loved the retelling of this story only to find that she and her family were doomed to live in just that place.

Natalie S. Harnett writes a novel set in a desperate area of the anthracite coal region of Pennsylvania. Over generations families tried to eke out a living from dangerous mines run by ruthless owners. Brigid's family was one of them. They were cursed just be being poor and without an easy escape from the only fire in their lives. The coal mines burned and consumed the houses they lived in and the very air they breathed.
Lydia M. (Virginia Beach, VA) (03/19/14)

A book to remember...tell your friends
This is a book I could not put down. I have enjoyed hundreds of books but 'The Hollow Ground' will stand apart from previous reads in that the strength of the story and the spontaneous and profound understanding I felt with the narrator, Bridget, shook me to my core.
I sincerely hope that Ms Harnett feels the inspiration to give us another such gift.
A truly fine work....thank you!
Carmen G. (Kissimmee, FL) (03/16/14)

Hollow Ground!
Hollow Ground is impressed, moving and fill with tales of dark secrets that impacts a mining family in Pennsylvania in the 1960's.Brigid Howley the narrator tells of curses, old tales on the family that she believes is bring misfortunes to her family. Brigid wants to escape, she is scare, limited and lonely in her despairs to understand the past and how it affects her family and the people around her. I would recommend everyone to read it.
Norma R. (Secaucus, NJ) (03/12/14)

Damaging Secrets
The Hollow Ground is an engrossing tale of a mining family in 1960s Pennsylvania. The narrator is young Brigid Howley. Her family feels that they have been cursed and blame all their misfortunes on it. Brigid's parents have trouble keeping jobs and move in with her grandparents. The family keeps secrets about what happened in the past and this creates much pain and suffering. Brigida lives in fear of everyone in the small town and she feels isolated and unloved. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. The novel showed how burying secrets can rip a family apart.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers