Reader reviews and comments on Mimi Malloy, At Last!, plus links to write your own review.

Mimi Malloy, At Last!

by Julia MacDonnell

Mimi Malloy, At Last!

Apr 2014, 288 pages
    Mar 2015, 288 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Mimi Malloy, At Last!

Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (Victorville, CA) (02/24/14)

Memories light the corner of my mind
I was not very sympathetic toward the main character of this novel, Mimi Malloy, a reluctantly retired 60-ish divorcee with six daughters, but as the story was told, with wit and humor, I began to like her more. If nothing else this book taught me not to accept someone at face value or by a single encounter; take time to get to know and understand another person, peel back a few layers, and you may be surprised by what you find.

I cannot say that the answer to the big mystery of the book was any surprise to me, however, but watching Mimi's memories return and the effect those revelations have on her and on her relationships with her sisters and her daughters made this a worthwhile read.
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ) (02/23/14)

mimi malloy at last
This book was so enjoyable. Mimi,the central character, is fun to read about. She has family that is determined to live her life for her, in a direction she doesn't want to go.
I just finished a book called Still Alice when I started Mimi, so, at times, both books blended together. I, too, am retired, so forgetting things isn't unusual. However, this book has spirit. Having the author introduce Duffy made the book even better to read. While we learned about Mimi's life, it was also a pleasure to learn about Duffy. Mimi was lucky in many ways to have family that cared about her. I would recommend this book to my book club.
Linda P. (Rockport, ME) (02/21/14)

Mimi Malloy At Last
Julia MacDonnell's novel was entertaining enough to finish as she writes quite well, but I found the characters to be predictable, boring, and generally unlikeable, especially Mimi's daughter Cassandra. The plot and dialogue might be better suited to a TV sit-com. The publisher labels it a coming-of-age novel, but I would have been really disappointed if I'd purchased the book expecting to read a story that focuses on the psychological and moral growth of the protagonist from youth to adulthood. I'm giving it two thumbs up for humor.
Darlyne F. (Hunter, ND) (02/20/14)

Mimi MalloryAt Last
I really enjoyed this book. I loved reading about a woman my age.. This book has a little bit of everything. A mystery to solve. memories to sort out and some romance. Loved the chapters titles.
Diane W. (Lake Villa, IL) (02/19/14)

Mimi and her generation
I started this book late Sunday evening, with the intent to read only a chapter and turn out the light. I continued to read it well into the night and finished it the next evening. Originally, I sensed it was a light novel about an independent, aging woman and her family....but as I got into it more and more, the story became complex, intriguing, and both sad/happy at the same time. Mimi strongly reminded me of my mother and her large family of sisters, raised before and during the great recession years, strongly Irish and Catholic --- and their way of never speaking the family secrets and code of "denial", I guess you'd say. Though happy and historic days were sometimes briefly discussed, there was always an air of deep sadness and many unspoken stories and memories, I believe, related to grief, fear, longing, and "things that weren't discussed", consciously or unconsciously forgotten or put away. Some of this behavior continues in my generation, as well..... This is a book I will ponder and fuss about in my mind for a long time. I enjoyed it immensely, while at the same time, feel a sense of loss about family history that may now be lost and never spoken about aloud.
Dianne S. (Green Valley, AZ) (02/18/14)

A Great Book, At Last!
When I started this book I expected a story about the pitfalls of a divorced women growing old alone with a help of her interfering children. As Mimi Malloy's story unfolded I found that there was so much more.

With the help of Mimi's family and friends Mimi's memories come forth and not necessarily in a beautiful and graceful way but actually in an unvarnished and startling way. Many of the details had been long forgotten by Mimi herself or misremembered by others. The story bring forth the highs and lows of her life and the eventual coming to terms with the past and a mystery long forgotten. With this coming to terms comes a better relationship with those present in her present life.

This book is a little bit Tree Grows in Brooklyn and a touch of Angela's Ashes with bits of the Golden Girls thrown in for a bit of levity . This book will long stay with me. Mimi will be part of me always.
Debra C. (Vienna, GA) (02/17/14)

An Irish Cindrella
Although it has a fairy tale ending, Mimi's road to the dance involves more than just a palace ball. Mimi's journey, despite the dark spots of child abuse and memories lost then found, includes a functionally dysfunctional family, a Yick Yack Club, good lonely hearts, and daily Manhatten libations woven between the crooning of Frank Sinatra songs, literally snatches you in and never eases its grip until the last page.
Deborah P. (Dunnellon, FL) (02/16/14)

Mimi Malloy At Last
Julia MacDonnell's novel, Mimi Malloy At Last held me captive from the first page. I often found myself losing track of time, reading late into the night. The novel deals with issues facing an extended contemporary New England family. Many of the family's concerns will speak to Baby Boomers who have retired or are planning to retire. MacDonnell has assembled a diverse family of female characters: mothers, sisters and daughters with such detailed personalities the reader may recognize many of their traits in their own family members. The novel, while set in present day New England takes us back to Mimi's long forgotten childhood trauma, repressed as a survival instinct that will no longer be denied resolution. These lost memories are critical to Mimi's health and happiness. The people and the plot are so completely believable that at times I felt that I was reading a biography.

Mimi Malloy At Last is that perfect book to read on a cold winter afternoon or to take along on a hot summer day at the beach. Mimi Malloy At Last is a must read and has earned a place on my read again bookshelf.

Coming of Autumn

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All