Reader reviews and comments on Under the Wide and Starry Sky, plus links to write your own review.

by Nancy Horan

Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan X
Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan

Jan 2014, 496 pages
    Sep 2014, 496 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Under the Wide and Starry Sky

Linda A. (Palo Alto, CA) (11/04/13)

Fascinating Narrative
This book captured my interest from the beginning as we journey through the lives of Fanny Van de Grift Stevenson and Robert Louis Stevenson. Horan portrays her characters as flesh and blood, real-life people who brave the unknown in search of a home where Louis can survive and thrive. Fanny endures many hardships as they travel the world, more than once nursing him back from the brink of death and finds herself submerging her creative side to focus on the practical work to be done. This is a work of fiction, strongly anchored in history. Portrayed in depth, the characters come to life as people for whom we care.
Mary Ellen L. (Canfield, OH) (10/31/13)

Under the Wide and Starry Sky
Fans of Nancy Horan's "Loving Frank" will not be disappointed with her second novel. She manages to bring to life the equally fascinating characters of Louis and Fanny and their loving, but turbulent, relationship as they travel the world. Historical facts are expanded upon, bringing insight into the life of a famous author and his strong and remarkable wife. It is an ambitious work, which sometimes seemed a little more detailed than necessary, but well worth the read.
Lori (10/31/13)

Under the Wide and Starry Sky
I received an advance copy of Under the Wide and Starry Sky. I found it a welcome addition to the other recent historical novels about the wives of famous people, the women behind the men. Since I didn’t know anything about the life of Robert Louis Stevenson, I found it particularly interesting to learn about him, and his wife led a fascinating life as well. I also enjoyed reading about the time period and the places they traveled. One would never have expected someone in poor health to have managed to travel to the most far-flung places in a time when travel was so difficult. The author brought to life the challenges of Stevenson’s health, finances and relationships. Although the book was a little longer than I would have liked, it was a unique story. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction, and I think it would make a good choice for book discussion groups.

• Book Jacket: Circe
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes