Reader reviews and comments on The Scavenger's Daughters, plus links to write your own review.

Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, Book One

by Kay Bratt

• Paperback:
    Aug 2013, 272 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The Scavenger's Daughters

Margaret M. (Keshena, WI) (07/17/13)

The scavengers daughters
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The subject matter is unusual. The references to the cultural revolution were informative. The relationships of the daughters to each other and the scavenger were well delineated.

The conclusion was a bit fairytale and disappointing. However the book is easy to read and keeps ones interest.
Cheryl W. (Crosby, MN) (07/17/13)

Enjoyable read
I enjoyed this story of a junk man and his wife. He saved many girl children after they were abandoned due to Mao's policy. All the children are named after flowers. There is such love in this family as they took all girls no matter their condition. I like that this is a series and look forward to reading more about this family.
Gail G. (Northbrook, IL) (07/17/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters by Kay Bratt
The phoenix has arisen with the introduction of Benfu and Calli. Their blended family is a fantastic accomplishment of what a family should and could be. Their ability to understand their children and to motivate them to thinking and behaving on a high level is miraculous.

The story takes place during the era of Mao's Cultural Revolution and describes what isn't accomplished and the horrors of the results of his thinking and what is happening to Benfu as a result of his uncooperative behavior. This becomes a story about the redemption of the human spirit through the life if one couple whose family is an example of what a family could be even under the poorest circumstances. The attitude developed in this family, if it could be transferred to other families, could result in better understanding and less hatred amongst people. It is a beautiful thing to watch and learn from. I adored this story and the characters who inhabited it. When I began reading I was taking notes until I became so involved with the story's action that I could only read to get to the meat of the story and learn what was happening to the characters. It became impossible for me to put the book down and it became a compulsion for me to finish it.

This was one of the most wonderful stories I read in a long time. I would recommend it for book clubs and for its uplifting experience for all readers. I hated to finish the book until I learned at the end that the author was writing a sequel how wonderful for me because then the story would not end.
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD) (07/16/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters
I always thoroughly enjoy a book when I love the characters and want to know them better. Of course, this will happen since we were informed that this is the first book in the Tales of The Scavenger's Daughter. The father, Benfu, is a caring, responsible parent, who sublimates his personal stress by taking care of his family. Mother, Calli, takes care of him. Each of the daughters has personality and talents that will be developed in later books. Although this book is a good read and stands on its own, I am sure all will be anxious for later volumes.
Kathleen W. (Appleton, WI) (07/15/13)

The Scavenger's Daughter
I only give 5's to "must reads". I was tempted to rate this book a 3 because some of the dialogue just didn't ring true and because I have read many other novels about being a girl in China. This being said, I couldn't stop reading The Scavenger's Daughter and am intrigued by the fact that it is the first in a forthcoming series. I look forward to reading the next book, both to see if the writing improves, but more importantly because I've grown attached to the characters. I think this will be an excellent book for discussion, and will be an eye-opener for readers unfamiliar with this recent period in Chinese history.
Melinda H. (Midlothian, VA) (07/14/13)

Great read!
I have to admit, when I saw the cover - I judged. It looks like it is going to be one of those flowery, sappy books with absolutely no depth. I was wrong! This is an intelligent, albeit quick read. I loved everything about this story, from the poverty stricken, but gloriously giving couple, to each of their rescued daughters. In more than just the obvious way, this book is a fabulous reminder to not judge a book by its cover.
Amy W. (Annapolis, MD) (07/14/13)

Beautiful Story
I loved this book. It is heartbreaking to read about the discarded girls in China. I can't imagine tossing out a child because she was a girl, or had a disability. I love that this story is based upon the true tale of how some people take the unwanted girls into their home and make them a part of their families. I was drawn into Benfu and Calli's story from the first chapter. It is a beautifully written book about love and family. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Nancy L. (Denver, NC) (07/14/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters
During the Cultural Revolution, small and infant girls were often abandoned because of sickness, physical challenges, or just because they are girls. Benfu, who makes his living scavenging landfills, finds these girls and brings them home to be loved and raised. The girls are given flower names and are thought of as a flower garden by Benfu and his wife.

Because of experiences in Benfu's youth, caused by a corrupt government, he is too proud to ask later for the help he should receive from government officials for taking the girls on. This book is based on a true story.

China's One-Child Policy

Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Underground Airlines