Reader reviews and comments on The Scavenger's Daughters, plus links to write your own review.

Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, Book One

by Kay Bratt

• Paperback:
    Aug 2013, 272 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The Scavenger's Daughters

Barb W. (Mechanicsburg, PA) (07/31/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters
If it were possible to give half stars, this book would have gotten 4.5 stars instead of only 4. Although the subject is not "feel good," the book is well-written, the characters well-drawn and the content informative and engaging. I have already recommended it to co-workers and library patrons, and I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.
Lola T. (Broken Arrow, OK) (07/30/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters
Rarely have I read a book that was as compelling and full of love as this one, and it still be a "page-turner." The "voice" of Benfu bothered me initially, but I came to understand this was part of the development of his character. The character development of all the characters was good, but I especially loved Linnea. Each one had his/her stories and secrets which I'm sure will be revealed in subsequent books--and I'll be reading them!! Whether you enjoy books about China or not, this is an enjoyable book that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Joy T. (Garden City, MI) (07/28/13)

Helping your community
This book left me with such an uplifting feeling. I normally do not like books written in China and about the Mao revolution, but this book was the exception. It is the first in a series and I am looking forward to the next installment. I have told several of my friends that they need to read this book and I will probably have it as one if my picks for my book club next year. A read you shouldn't miss.
Mary Ellen B. (Boynton Beach, FL) (07/23/13)

Chinese family ties
A lovely story of a simple man who makes a better life possible for unwanted young girls in China. He and his wife find abandoned orphans and share the little that they have. Based on true events, this heartwarming saga points out flaws in how the Chinese government deals with adoption. A sequel that will the story of this unusual family is planned.
Kathleen S. (Oshkosh, WI) (07/23/13)

Inspiring Story
Kay Bratt tells the story of a Chinese man and his wife who have chosen to stand by their principles and show love and compassion to girls who have been abandoned, without regard for their own impoverished circumstances. Although it is set in the context of Mao's "cultural revolution" and its aftermath, the lessons this story teaches are valuable in all societies, political environments, and religions.

I enjoyed the story and was interested to learn details about what an impact Mao's policies have had in the mindset of modern-day Chinese. I found the characters to be a little too "representative" for my taste- while each was interesting, it seemed like the author was trying a bit too hard to give each character qualities that could represent a particular group of people (physically disabled or altruistic government official, e.g.) rather than really making me feel that they were a real individual. Even so, I found the book entertaining and believe that it has a message that everyone needs to hear.
Power Reviewer Doris K. (Angora, MN) (07/20/13)

The Scavenger's Daughters
The setting for this book is modern day China. However, the prologue and frequent references to the Cultural Revolution make a strong comparison between these two times. This could lead to an interesting discussion of the lasting effects of the Cultural Revolution on the people of China. Consequently it would be a good read for a book club or anyone interested in historical fiction.

The descriptions of the daughters' personalities made the book interesting and gave an insight into the Chinese culture. The author leaves enough unfinished in the lives of these girls to encourage the reader to continue the series. I look forward to reading the other books as they become available.
Power Reviewer Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL) (07/19/13)

CULTURAL DIFFERENCES
In China, baby girls are thought of as insignificant items. This book shows how one family finds and takes care of these children who are considered orphans as they have been abandoned by their parents. There is a Book Two to this book and I can hardly wait to read it. If you have a daughter, you will cherish her even more after you read this book.
Kathleen B. (Las Vegas, NV) (07/18/13)

Beautiful Flower's
Benfu and Calli were a loving couple. Benfu's job was a scavenger, going threw dumps looking for things he could resell. He found girl babies and brought them home and raised them, All the babies were given flower names. They were very poor but he always found a way to put food on the table and heat the house. He had a horrible experience when he was younger as a Mao recruit. I think this book would be excellent for a book group because there is so much to cover. I read this book in a day but you could analyze this book for awhile. I am very happy that there is an another book available already to preorder in this series. I am definitely going to get book two in the series, this is based on a true man.
This would be a good book for the YA market.

China's One-Child Policy

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review