MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Her Last Breath, plus links to write your own review.

A Kate Burkholder Novel

by Linda Castillo

Jun 2013, 320 pages
    Jul 2014, 320 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Her Last Breath

Marge V. (Merriam, KS) (04/26/13)

Brilliance, Thy Name is Kate Burkholder!
Linda Castillo has got to be one of the best writers in the country--she mixes believable crime, culture (Amish) in small town America (rural Ohio), and mystery into her Police Chief Kate Burkholder books--her other writings are great, too, but Kate has held my interest throughout all five books, so far. This latest venture into the Holmes County sheriff's world does not disappoint. Her writing of the Amish culture doesn't ring false and the entire plot and solution comes to a satisfying conclusion.
Barbara C. (Riverside, CA) (04/26/13)

This is a good series!
The protagonist (police chief Kate Burkholder) is typically conflicted -- being a former Amish living among her people but not of them.. she is shunned by her former friends and family and this plot could not have happened among the English (Non-Amish). Castillo, the author, understands Amish life and culture. I read the book in a day! Fast moving mystery, my favorite kind of book. I recommend the entire series. I own them all.
Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA) (04/25/13)

Her Last Breath
This is an excellent police procedural mystery with a touch of romance.The chief of police, Kate Burkholder,(who once was Amish) investigates an Amish buggy accident. A past crime is another thread that runs through the book. This book is well written and hard to put down. I finished the book in 3 days and normally it would take me one month to read 300 pages. Anyone interested in learning about the Amish culture would enjoy this. This is the fifth in the Kate Burkholder series and I look forward to reading the earlier books.
Power Reviewer Portia A. (Mount Laurel, NJ) (04/21/13)

A good read!
I enjoyed this very well written Amish thriller. I love a mystery that surprises me at the end, and "Her Last Breath" did exactly that. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 was that it is part of a series and I haven't read the previous books.
I will now.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun