Reader reviews and comments on The Laws of Gravity, plus links to write your own review.

by Liz Rosenberg

May 2013, 298 pages
    May 2013, 298 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Laws of Gravity

Tanya (05/12/13)

Brilliant food for thought
Once in a great while a novel comes along that makes you think and feel more deeply. This novel gripped me from the beginning and held me throughout. I found it un-put-downable.

There are two main plots here, but they come together seamlessly when two cousins' battles land in the court of Solomon Richter, a decent man on the verge of retirement. It is an impossible case, yet he must come to a decision. Several subplot are woven into the main drama, creating moments of humor, pathos, tragedy and poetry. The ending is one of the most surprising and beautiful novel endings I've ever read. I will be on the lookout for more books by Rosenberg.
Mark D (05/07/13)

Caught by surprise...
Many, many beautiful moments kept the story moving even though the flow felt crafted to me. That is, until the ending. Genius how profound it became. Additionally, I loved the character developments. I have already recommended to a friends bookclub.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD) (05/04/13)

It's All Relative
Well written and riveting. I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more from this author. I would recommend this book to book clubs, I feel that there would be many good discussions regarding this book.
Debbie M. (Grand Junction, CO) (04/29/13)

The Laws of Gravity
The Laws of Gravity presents an interesting problem. How far would you go to help a family member? We'd all like to think we're there for family, but when actually confronted with the problem, will we be there?

It started out slow, but then became a page turner. You really want to know how it ends.
Loves to Read (Burlingame, CA) (04/22/13)

Is Blood Thicker Than Water?
If you are looking for a quick read this summer this is the book for you. This book definitely tugs at the heart-strings; you might find yourself a little teary eyed at times. Filled with family drama, this book speaks volumes on relationships between family and friends.
Power Reviewer Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (04/22/13)

Conundrum?
What a wonderful book! If you are a fan of Jodi Picoult's, then you are going to love Liz Rosenberg. She has written many novels, and this one is as good as it gets. Nicole and Ari are best friends and cousins. Nicole gets very sick, is on chemo but needs stem cells that Ari had saved from their baby's birth. Should he give them to help save Nicole's life? Does Nicole have the right to ask? Very complex family situation that this author tackles very well. There is great dialogue, humor, and excellent character development. I highly recommend this to anyone with a heart! Very moving, so be sure and have your tissues handy.
Linda W. (Summit, NJ) (04/22/13)

Family and Friends
This story seesaws between two characters - Nicolle, a beautiful, young mother with a deadly disease and Solomon, a retiring Supreme Court judge - and their extended families. Both characters have a close and long term relationship with a family member and both have a dilemma weighing them down. The resolution of these dilemmas is the fodder for the story line.

Rosenberg's writing is lyrically descriptive, but her dialogue is choppy and punctuated with body language. I enjoyed the story and the book is very readable. There is no surprise at the end, but a satisfying conclusion ties up most of the loose ends. I found the intersection of new life and death with the diverse responses of various family members to be intriguing.
Kristen H. (Lowell, MA) (04/21/13)

Family Ties
Family is extremely important but how far do you go to save someone when it could mean that your child might not be able to be saved in the future? This story calls into question the issue of saved cord blood and can a court force someone to give it to save someone in their family. The characters came alive for me and there were tears in my eyes almost through the whole book so be sure to keep a box of tissues nearby.

Sources for Stem Cells

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review