Reader reviews and comments on Fever, plus links to write your own review.

Mar 2013, 320 pages
    Mar 2014, 320 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Fever

Power Reviewer Nikki M. (Fort Wayne, IN) (03/05/13)

Poor Typhoid Mary!
I found this historical fiction fascinating, illuminating one of history's "infamous" characters, "Typhoid Mary". I wavered between feeling so sorry for Mary to being angry at her! This was all such new science when they discovered Mary was a healthy "carrier" of typhoid. I'm glad the author didn't get too bogged down in the science, and instead focused on the lives of Mary and those connected to her. Very interesting and thought-provoking, too!
Annette S. (Duluth, GA) (03/05/13)

Fever
An unforgettable story of an Irish immigrant who came to New York at the beginning of the twentieth century. Her dreams included becoming a cook as she worked her way up through the different positions of domestic service until finally becoming a cook for some of the wealthy families of Manhattan. You will learn of how the poor coped with urban life, and how the seriously ill were treated by the Department of Health, while they were trying to protect the health of the public.

As historical fiction, Fever will not disappoint and is one of the best.
Teresa R. (Evansville, IN) (03/03/13)

Gripping!
Wow! Loved, loved, loved this book. It usually takes me a good 100 pages to get into a book... and really want to continue reading. Not so with "Fever." After reading the first 5 pages I was hooked. The writing is wonderful... so good in fact that you forget to even notice it. This was another book of historical fiction that makes me realize just what isn't known by many of us... the cardboard characters we read about as children become real people with real emotions and secrets. Read this one... I promise that you will learn something!
Joan C. (Warwick, RI) (02/25/13)

Fever
Wow! What a great story about a real, historical person with truly a life based on continuous strife and struggle. Mary Mallon - an Irish immigrant, domestic servant with no family and a violent temper turns out to be identified as the first asymptomatic carrier of Typhoid Fever. Through no fault of her own, she is taken by force, against her will and deprived of her civil liberties. Yet, she emerges as a woman trying to find her way in a new country, without family or friends. Keane, has given the reader a real character we can like or dislike, but cannot ignore. The pros and cons of what Mary experienced is what makes this story so riveting and worthy of discussion. She was such a complex woman that In the end I still couldn't make up my mind whether to give her a loud "Boo" or a rousing cheer. Definitely a good read.

A Short History of Typhoid

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review