Reader reviews and comments on Calling Me Home, plus links to write your own review.

by Julie Kibler

Feb 2013, 336 pages
    Jan 2014, 352 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Calling Me Home

Sandy P. (Gainesville, FL) (12/12/12)

Excellent book, worth investing the time.
I especially liked the way the author went back and forth between the issues of a forbidden inter-racial relationship in 1939 and Dorrie and Isabelle's present day trip to Cincinnati for a funeral. The closeness of the two women and their ability to bare their soul to each other was heartwarming. Everyone hopes to have at least one friend like that in their life. Their fondness and genuine love of each other removed all racial barriers that might have existed. Even right up to the last few pages new information and characters were introduced and had bearing on the story, so don't stop short of finishing. The final pages wrapped up all the loose ends and yet were very sad, but in a good way.
Barbara B. (Alta Loma, CA) (12/12/12)

Calling Me Home
This book was great!!! I loved going back and forth from Isabelle's story in 1939-1941 to Dorrie's present story. Isabelle was way ahead of her time & the strongest character in this story. I must admit I did have the ending figured out, but it did not stop me from cheering for Miss Isabelle & Dorrie. Their amazing friendship was priceless.
Michelle N. (Hillsdale, NJ) (12/07/12)

You'll want to read this in one sitting!
When Miss Isabelle asks her hairdresser, Dorrie, to accompany her a long distance to attend a funeral, we are not sure whose funeral or what it has to do with the two main characters. But along the way, we are drawn into Miss Isabelle's story, as told to Dorrie. And what a story it is! This book will keep you reading and enthrall you with the story of Isabelle's life; the characters are well developed and the story will grab your heart, right until the last page - I loved this book and would highly recommend it to book clubs and anyone looking for an un-put-downable read - fantastic!
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (12/07/12)

Calling Me Home
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I can not put it on my list of best books I ever read. The story was very nice and had a few small twists in it that weren't expected, but on a whole it was very predictable and maybe a little too nice. This book would go on my 'read in between heavy reading books' list. It was a very easy read and I got a picture in my mind of the two main characters that held true to the end. I would highly recommend this book for a summer or vacation read.
Power Reviewer Wendy F. (Kalamazoo, MI) (12/04/12)

Journey
Calling Me Home affected me more than any book has in a very long time. The emotions that run through Isabelle's story of her past and the current difficulties that Dorrie is dealing with bring us a rich and satisfying tale.

Their bond grows as Isabelle unravels her life in words along the road from Texas to Cincinnati. O. Henry-like twists occur that take your breathe away.

Friendship often does come in the most unlikely places. This couple's friendship is truly a special one that deepens as Isabelle's story is revealed. Calling Me Home brought laughter as well as tears. Journey along with these amazing women and find love and longing as their journey moves forward.
Laura G. (Buffalo, NY) (12/04/12)

A Ride to Remember
Calling Me Home has a masterful way of drawing in its reader. The car ride, to a funeral across country, brings together two unlikely travelling companions. The story the older woman shares with the younger woman is a story for all to hear. It bridges time, age and race in a poignant, bittersweet tale that impacts, not only the two characters, but anyone who picks up this book. I'm so glad to have read it and highly recommend it.
Celia A. (Takoma Park, MD) (12/04/12)

Shining a light on a sad side of history
There weren't many surprises in this book; I could see most of the developments coming from a mile away. But I was OK with that, because I really cared about what happened to these characters. This is a book that deserves to be read, especially with regards to U.S. history of "sundown towns." And if you want to know more about this unfortunate side of our history, I suggest you follow this book with James Loewen's non-fiction "Sundown Towns."
Amber B. (East Sparta, OH) (12/04/12)

Powerful, heartbreaking story.
While sellers may try to compare this to "The Help" - and yes, the storytelling rivals it - this is instead a love story. Powerful and gripping, you'll be surprised with the characters as the details of a forbidden romance unfold, changing two people and everyone else in their lives forever. Definitely pick up this book for your reading group, literature class, or a great read.

Sundown Towns

One Month Free Membership

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko
    by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Girl Waits with Gun