Reader reviews and comments on Illuminations, plus links to write your own review.

A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen

by Mary Sharratt

Oct 2012, 288 pages
    Oct 2013, 288 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Illuminations

Ann D. (Clearfield, PA) (09/13/12)

Female Mysticism
In her book, Illuminations, Mary Sharratt has crafted novel about the life of Hildegard von Bigen. Having known a little about St. Hildegard, I was eager to read this book. The story flowed, but in the end, I was left wanting more. This, in itself, is not a bad thing. I did a little research on my own, which proved to me that Scharratt had done her homework. Illuminations could have included a great deal more of Hildegard von Bingen's writings, but was a very good as it is.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID) (09/09/12)

Illuminations
I'm a big fan of Mary Sharratt, and Illuminations is one of her best novels yet. Ms. Sharratt's novels are well researched and entertaining. Set in the 12th century we find Hildegard von Bingen tithed to the church. As we journey through Hildegard's life, Ms. Sharratt has done a wonderful job weaving historical fact; relationships (despite the difficult circumstances); and insight to the psychology of the characters. This book is a great read, and I recommend it to any historical fiction fan.
Linda A. (Palo Alto, CA) (09/08/12)

12th Century Women's Rights Advocate
Illuminations is the powerful story of Hildegard von Bingen, songwriter, abbess, religious leader who established the first monastery for women. At odds with the requirements of women to submit to the authority of powerful monks, Hildegard found a way to honor her visions, claim her talent, and enter into sisterhood with like-minded women. An interesting fictional account of the life of a fascinating woman of history.
Elinor S. (Loudonville, NY) (09/08/12)

Illuminations
This beautifully written book about an extraordinary woman was so informative about a time of such corruption and turmoil in the Catholic church. At the time that sons were being sent off to the crusades and daughters were being sacrificed to monasteries (sons also) in the name of salvation for the parents. It makes a mockery of the folly of men in the name of Christianity. That Hildegarde had the strength (apparently through her visions or holiness) to stand up to the hierarchy of the church and though her teachings not only of the divine but her herbal and medicinal knowledge that centuries later I are still respected. I was happy to be introduced to her.
Helen S. (Sun City West, AZ) (09/08/12)

A woman ahead of her time
The story of Hildegard von Bingen’s life was fascinating and enlightening. Before reading Illuminations I had only known about her from facts gleaned from the liner notes on CDs of her music; she was a medieval Christian visionary and prophet, as well as a talented musician, writer, and healer. But as I read this historical novel, I could see her talents developing and imagine what life would have been like for her as an anchorite coping with difficult people and trying situations. By the end of the book, I felt that the author had given me an inside glimpse into the heart and soul of a brilliant, multitalented woman who centuries later continues to inspire us. I highly recommend this book to all readers who want to know her, not just know about her.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (09/06/12)

passion and pain
Illuminations by Mary Sharratt is a novel about Hildegard von Bingen. I was worried it would be stuffy and overly religious, but it wasn’t at all. It was fascinating! Hildegard von Bingen was a famous nun/abbess/writer/composer from the eleventh century. She fought against the medieval views of women. It starts when as a child of eight she given to the church and was walled into three small rooms (an anchorage) as a handmaiden to woman who was extremely pious and in our world mentally ill. For thirty years, her only contact with the world was a priest who shared books and knowledge. It is from here that Hildegard found the strength to move forward. To me she was the first woman who tried to move the image of women. Most of all she was resilient and continued her vision forward, although not without problems.

The story of this remarkable woman cannot be told in these few words. There is so much more. The story is a well-written book that shares so much information about women during this time as well as the passion of Hildegard. If you enjoy historical fiction that is based on historical fact, this book is for you!
Power Reviewer Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI) (09/05/12)

Illuminations
Hildegard was a fascinating character in the history of the church, and the writing was good but I just couldn't get into this book. Little is known of the events in the period of her 30 year confinement, and the treatment of this section seemed too fictionalized, with sexual innuendos added just to make the book more readable. The second part of the story seemed to have a rushed feeling with only a fleeting look given to events.

I just was couldn't form an attachment to either the characters or the story.
Diane R. (Munger, Michigan) (08/29/12)

ILLUMINATIONS IS A WINNER!!!
I truly enjoyed Illuminations. It was a true page turner and I loved the historical information that was intertwined throughout the book. It is an excellent book for a book club. It covers the life of a fascinating woman and corruption in the church and how the hierarchy looked down on women. It is suspenseful, holds your attention, and fast moving. It reminded me of the "Red Tent" where Dinah was portrayed. I was educated in a parochial school so many things in the book brought back memories even though there are many centuries between my education years and the time frame of this book.

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P