Reader reviews and comments on Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Anna Quindlen

Apr 2012, 208 pages
    Apr 2013, 224 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Christine P. (San Francisco, CA) (04/15/12)

Anna Quindlen Gets It!
Anna Quindlen puts into words what it is to be me, a woman of a certain age (50s). This book of essays connects the issues that are important to women like me. Marriage, friendship, parenting, the care of aging parents and solitude are just a few of the topics that will either make you laugh or cry or more than likely do both. The essays are meant to be savored and mulled over until you read the next one. They will get in you touch with a part of yourself that you may have thought has gone missing. It’s definitely not a book to be gobbled down in one sitting. In the end, Anna Quindlen’s list of hopes will make you want to read this book again and again.
Cynthia S. (Rensselaer, NY) (04/15/12)

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Anna Quindlen's memoir reflects on many topics: childhood, maturation, marriage, parenting, religion,faith, loss etc. Reading this little gem makes the reader aware of the many blessings that we have and experiences we have had as we journey through life.Many are similar to those experienced by Quindlen. One statement I particularly liked was about time passing, we have aged but at what age are we old? Old is whatever age you haven't reached yet. This book gives the readers lots to ponder. It would be great for a book club discussion.
Bob S. (lawrenceburg, IN) (04/14/12)

An exploration of women that men need
The book is autobiographical with all of Quindlen's usual qualities: insight, fun, self-effacing humor, and, at times, a well aimed shot at silliness. I thinks it's an important book for men to read, too, since looking at the world through each others' eyes is so important in a world often with lots of answers but no humble questions. Too many men are making decisions about women's lives when they've obviously never lived inside a woman's body and mind--it's created much pain in churches, governmental agencies, and in schools. Quindlen's searching examination of her own adventures is touching, loving, and joyful. Her wisdom is obvious.
Patty, (Carroll County Public Library, MD) (04/14/12)

A Happy Reunion
Reading Anna Quindlen's memoir was like being reunited with an old friend after many years of being apart. If you were a loyal fan of her columns in THE NEW YORK TIMES or NEWSWEEK as I was, you will appreciate that the book reads like those columns: full of heart and deep understanding of the human experience. If you only know her from her novels, you are in for a treat. She writes of her life in relation to issues like women in the workforce or raising children or mortality with the respect of one who loves her life and isn’t afraid to say so. Her desire to age gracefully will resonate with anyone who is thinking about it and wondering what will come next. I am so glad the last chapter of this book is titled, “To Be Continued.” I will be waiting.
Evie L. (EauClaire, wi) (04/14/12)

lots of candles plenty of cake by Anna Quindlen
This is a memoir to treasure and read again because it has so much "common sense" to it. Since we are about the same age, I certainly could relate to the problems and challenges she has encountered in her 60 years. She writes like she is speaking personally to me and I almost felt like "answering back".. Great book that I will share with friends.
Patti F. (Stony Brook, New York) (04/13/12)

Anna Quindlen's best yet...
In "lots of candles, plenty of cake" Anna Quindlen is writing about my life and I trust the lives of many more baby boomers. For me, this is her best yet. Anna and I are close in age and the experiences she explores in this book are those that parallel those of my own and my contemporaries, which makes the writing that much richer and meaningful. I found myself cheering out loud or agreeing with a particular statement, writing comments in the margin. She writes about love and loss and how we are shaped by our experiences, moving forward from the age of sixty and beyond. She talks about the importance of girlfriends as we age, about hoping to to have those vivid memories to relish, and wanting to walk through the house of her own life until life is done. Isn't that what we all want? Any new book by Anna Quindlen is a treat, but this one is especially lovely.
Christine E. (Royal Oak, MI) (04/09/12)

Like a good wine, we get better with age
The best books are ones that leave you thinking. This is the case with Anna Quindlen's memoir. She reflects on the important events of her life and the times in which she lived. I got me thinking about what important events that were responsible for shaping my life and the decisions that I have made along the way.
Power Reviewer Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI) (04/09/12)

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
I loved this book! I had never read anything by Anna Quindlan before this book. Her shared observations on life are witty, honest and relevant. I recognized myself in many of her experiences and caught myself thinking someone else feel the same way I do. I highly recommended it.

The Novels of Anna Quindlen

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Ashes of Fiery Weather