MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on All Woman and Springtime, plus links to write your own review.

by Brandon W. Jones

May 2012, 384 pages
    Mar 2013, 400 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for All Woman and Springtime

Angela S. (Hartland, MI) (03/13/12)

All Woman and Springtime
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It is a fascinating glimpse into the lives of North Koreans and also naive trusting girls who are sold into the sex slave industry. The characters were believable and really pull you into the story. This book would be great for people interested in foreign cultures, as it opened my eyes to how people from the isolated country of North Korea live and think. I could not get enough of this book and the characters. My only complaint is that the book had to end!
Power Reviewer Lani S. (Narberth, PA) (03/13/12)

Good first effort
Would I run out to tell someone to read this book? No...but was the author able to maintain a level of tension and spur one on to finish this quick read...Yes! That said, the book was good but with limitations. The beginning dragged with similes that were trite and unnecessary. The cardboard characters were not fully fleshed allowing me to not fully engage and care. Additionally, the abrupt ending wrapped up too quickly to feel a sense of completion.

One aspect I did appreciate was the author's attention to the thoughts and feelings of these sexually trafficked girls leaving N Korea and the ensuing culture shock. In my experience, this disorientation has not been addressed in similar books.

For those not well versed in reading about sexual trafficking, the contents might be graphic but indeed honest, and will open their eyes to this hidden world.
Pat M. (san antonio, TX) (03/12/12)

Will recommend to my book club members and friends
"All Woman and Springtime" grabbed by attention with the first chapter and held it to the very last chapter. This is a coming of age story, but it is so much more. It is so easy to get involved with the characters and the plot. I would love to see this on a screen and/or a sequel.

Brandon Jones - give up sculpture and guitar - just write books! I will recommend this book to my book club members and friends.
Power Reviewer Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO) (03/12/12)

All woman and Sprngtime
Disappointed in this author's attempt to give the reader a glimpse into life in North Korea. The plot fails to convince the reader that two orphans in a tightly controlled police state would find themselves "tricked" into breaking all the rules and being sold as sex slaves. I wasn't convinced of the authenticity of the female characters. Overall the story felt contrived.
Rhonda M. (Concord, OH) (03/11/12)

An eye opening book
All Woman and Springtime caught me in the first 10 pages. After that it's hard to put down. What a wonderful new writer. As I read this book I became totally absorbed in the mind-numbing journey of Gi and her friends. North Korea is not a place written about very often so I felt as if I myself had stepped behind the curtain of North Korea. And even knowing that the events in the book really do happen I felt it all as if I was one of the girls. Brandon Jones manages to capture their emotions brilliantly so that I felt devastated when they were and buoyant when they were. And as every page was read I started reaching towards the end and praying that the end would be what I wanted it to be. Thank you Mr. Jones for bringing this world to me and opening my eyes to it.
Rachel D. (Leominster, MA) (03/09/12)

All Woman and Springtime
This book brought me to the brink of tears many times. The green monster "Greed" reared it's ugly head and the innocent young girls were forced to live a life of hell on earth. The things that human beings do to one another is shocking. I will remember this book long after it's put back on the shelf.
Power Reviewer Madeline Mora-Summonte (Florida) (03/06/12)

All Woman and Springtime
By the end of the first page, we are fully in Gi's world, drawn in by strong language and powerful descriptions that elevate, never disguise, the actual story. Every character is complex and complicated, and our hearts ache, break and race for these girls.

This is not an easy story to read. It is moving and gut-wrenching, and at first glance, it seems there is no hope. But it turns out there is hope, and strength, in perhaps the least likely of people.

Human Trafficking in North Korea

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q