Reader reviews and comments on A Land More Kind Than Home, plus links to write your own review.

by Wiley Cash

Apr 2012, 320 pages
    Jan 2013, 336 pages

There are currently 39 reader reviews for A Land More Kind Than Home

Teresa R. (Evansville, IN) (03/17/12)

Wow!
Loved this book- loved the author's writing style, loved the haunting story. I could barely put it down - just had to see what would happen next. Would highly recommend this for lovers of Southern fiction - it is deep, dark, and haunting.
Carrie W. (Arcanum, OH) (03/17/12)

Snakes
I rather enjoyed this book. The depth of the characters was revealed as the book continued on. The book appealed to me because I grew up in a very small town where everyone knew everyone. And everyone's business!
Joyce K. (Conway, Arkansas) (03/14/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
For those familiar with Thomas Wolfe's writings will recognize this title as part of the lines from iYou Can't Go Home Again/i. As I read this novel, I kept wondering why anyone would want to go home to what young Jess Hall must face. His older brother is autistic, his parents are estranged, his mother is under the influence of a dubious faith healer, and his mountain home community seems to be lost in time. The story of Jess's brother "Stump" and his misfortune is revealed through the voices of several lead characters in the novel, each giving you a perspective of their take on life in a remote North Carolina town and the events that unfold. It is a book about family, their secrets, their failures and ultimately how hope might come from tragedy.
I also think it aptly reveals small rural Appalachian town life and the social influence of religion on every aspect of life.
The only time I felt some of the story was extraneous was when too much time was spent describing the life of minor characters in the book. I enjoyed the book and would read more from this author since this is a favorite genre of mine.
Linda N. (Dallas, TX) (03/13/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
I loved this book peopled with seemingly simple mountain folk whose lives are shredded by a tragedy which opens old wounds and older secrets and ultimately heals the least expected when "fairness is taken out of the equation." This book speaks powerfully and truthfully to the human condition with rich, honest characterizations and dialog.
Jeff M. (Morris Plains, NJ) (03/13/12)

Excellent First Novel
For Wiley Cash's first novel to be compared to author John Hart is quite a compliment. Cash's descriptions of western North Carolina and his character development compare very favorably to Hart. On the surface, you would think that the story, being narrated by the three different characters, may cause it to be a bit uneven, but it does flow nicely. This should become a very popular book club selection in the coming months.
Lesley M. (Mesa, AZ) (03/13/12)

A Land More Kind Than Home
I enjoyed reading this book a great deal. The characters were well defined and I felt as if I really knew and sympathized with them. The setting added to the plot of the story; stormy, gray and out of control. The pace of the story moved along well and I didn't want to put the book down. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a tale with strong characters in a rural setting with a touch of suspense.
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC) (03/11/12)

A Sublime Tragedy
As a resident of the mountains of North Carolina, I was drawn to this novel through curiosity. Add to that the facts that the author is from North Carolina and the style is one of changing point of view . . . well, I was hooked. And I was not disappointed. Included in the mix -- snake handling, a church closed off to the public by paper on the windows, a child caught in the midst of adult drama, and a sheriff fighting demons of his own. Wiley Cash is able to create a tension that both enthralls and exasperates. How can a town be so mesmerized by a power-hungry preacher? Not a new phenomenon--we've seen it before. How can parents ignore the needs of their children? We've seen that before, too. How can the weak be preyed upon? Yep, that's not new either. But Mr. Cash is able to bring these human weaknesses together in a story that has elements of mystery, fascination, and sheer dread. A fine read and a promising new author on the scene.
Susan R. (Julian, NC) (03/11/12)

Loss of Innocence
I feel that a book is good if I continue to think about the characters in it after I have finished reading. The characters in this book continue to come to mind over a week after finishing it. These characters were so well developed that I felt like I knew them and wanted to find out what happened in their lives after the end of the book. Wiley Cash has written a wonderful first novel. The story line is crisp and not overdone and it is told in such a way that I read it in one day. I look forward to this new author's next book!

One Month Free Membership

Ashes of Fiery Weather
    by Kathleen Donohoe

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Circling the Sun