Reader reviews and comments on The Good Father, plus links to write your own review.

by Noah Hawley

Mar 2012, 320 pages
    Jan 2013, 320 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Good Father

Margaret M. (Chicago, IL) (12/21/11)

The good father
The Good Father is an excellent read. The plot is great! It keeps your interest to the extent that it is hard to put down.

The characters are well drawn and believable.if you are a parent or not you can easily identify with the family.
Beth K. (New York, NY) (12/20/11)

The Good Father
A book that pulled me in from the first page, The Good Father is a work that is both wholly mesmerizing and utterly disturbing.

The book shifts focus subtly, at times questioning the level of Daniel’s actual guilt, but always returning to the ultimate issue of how Dr. Allen can reconcile the man his son has become.

A good portion of the middle section of the book contains detailed accounts of the actions of several well-known killers. This material at times felt creepy, and I was somewhat put off by the frequent interruption to the feel and flow of the narrative that resulted from including this information. As the book moved past this section, though, I quickly got back into the story, and it ultimately did not detract from my reading experience.

A book that will stay with you after you read the last page, and a definitely a conversational gold mine for book clubs.
Erica M. (Chicago, IL) (12/19/11)

The Good Father is a great read
This book was so well paced, well researched, and well written that I will read ANYTHING that Hawley ever writes again. There was absolutely no filler. The book was absolutely taut. Everything that was written was necessary to the plot development. It was so satisfying a read, that I was willing to overlook any flaws. What a treat this was.
Eloise F. (Poway, CA) (12/18/11)

Fiction that feels like non-fiction
I would lose track of whether this was a true story or not, given the style, and the very believable story. It will satisfy many readers: lovers of mystery, or of legal drama, or those who simply enjoy a good story of human nature. Was he a good father? I'm not sure and the story doesn't try to tell us so. The imperfect cover art is a great hint of what is to come.
Sherrill B. (Columbia City, In.) (12/18/11)

good father
This book really made me think about our society in America. There aren't very many marriages with kids that last and the kids spend their time going from one parent to the other plus grandparents and others. It's very confusing for them to know where they belong or if they really belong anywhere. That's what happened to Daniel once his mind was messed up so was his idea of right and wrong. I found the book very interesting though and could've passed for a true story.
Gail G. (Northbrook, Illinois) (12/16/11)

The Good Father by Noah Hawley
This is a story about a young man who commits a serious crime and a father who tries to understand his son’s behavior and its origins while placing the blame on others and outside influences. The story made me think about my own parenting skills and how they relate to my grown children. I could not let them go even though I was totally involved in the story.

I felt the characters and their actions were very real. How can anyone really tell what makes one child turn out well and the next one not? Bringing up children is a crap shoot. I believe most parents pray a lot before their children grow up and even after! The father does not believe his son is guilty of the crime and believes that someone else is involved or there were others influencing him. He wonders if his lack of interest in his son after his divorce and moving far away from him, remarrying and raising a second family destroyed him. I don’t think there can be a definitive answer to this – so many variables to these questions and interpretations are too personal and also simplistic views of events cause unreliable opinions.
Andrienne G. (Azusa, CA) (12/16/11)

My kind of fiction - a lot of introspection
Enjoyed this book a lot. From a parent's point of view, it really makes you think about how some people grow up to be bad or good. I like how the author defended the dad's actions right up till the end.
Ginny (Oregon) (12/14/11)

The Good Father
I feel emotionally attached to this, having lived through the horrific assassination of President John F. Kennedy as a young adult. I loved exploring the psychological trauma experienced by Dr. Paul Allen, The Good Father. This book seeped into my soul and will stay with me for years to come.

Parents of Young Killers

by Brit Bennett

by Paulette Jiles

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Cruel Beautiful World