Reader reviews and comments on A Good American, plus links to write your own review.

by Alex George

Feb 2012, 400 pages
    Feb 2013, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for A Good American

Power Reviewer Becky H (02/16/13)

A wonderful book
A lovely book that explores 4 generations of a family. Carefully drawn characters and a love of music permeate this novel that begins in Germany in 1904 and ends in Missouri in 2009.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (04/21/12)

Terrific story
There is not a dull moment in this book. The storyline about multiple generations of a German/American family is engrossing, and there are plenty of humorous situations. Alex George has plenty to say and he says it well. I could just hear that four-part barbershop quartet harmony!
Daveann D. (Eureka, MO) (03/07/12)

Enjoyed!
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the twists and interesting characters. Being from Mo I especially liked it, would recommend!
Power Reviewer Nikki (02/25/12)

5 Heartfelt Stars!!
Please don't miss this one! It is a perfect novel. I hated for it to end. It is literary, lyrical, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny, too! Do yourself a favor and pick this one up today.
Ruth (02/20/12)

The Good American
I read this in one sitting and enjoyed the voices of the characters and the story of the family as if it was my own.
val (02/18/12)

A Good American
I received this book at a preview in October, read it in days. Usually one book grabs me at these previews and this book was it. Beautifully written, this saga takes you on a journey of one families life over decades. I was in love with this book. If we didn't know it or have to be reminded, we all came from somewhere. I think every lazy american should read this book. We can only learn from this family what a Good American truly is like. My hair stood up when I read the written line, "just go out there and become a Good American. " 5 Stars 2 thumbs up
Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX) (02/14/12)

A Compelling Family Saga
If you love music and history - and if you like stories that reflect real life - you will enjoy this novel by Alex George. Compelling characters, the sweep of history, and the details of small town life combine to make this a story you'll be sad to finish. In fact, it is so good I'm planning to re-read it!
Anna S. (Auburn, AL) (01/29/12)

A Good American
This wonderful book about immigrants written by a man who is himself an immigrant offers many keen insights into the process of becoming assimilated into a new country and culture. I found myself alternately laughing and crying but enjoying every moment and wanting for more. The fact that I could readily identify with many of the characters in the book made it all the more enjoyable. My only complaint about the book is that it is a bit predictable but, thank goodness, not overly so.

German Americans

by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

Circling the Sun