Reader reviews and comments on The Submission, plus links to write your own review.

The Submission

by Amy Waldman

The Submission

Aug 2011, 528 pages
    Mar 2012, 336 pages

Jennifer Dawson Oakes

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Submission

jane (08/02/12)

Well written but biased in her viewpoint in many subtle ways
The book was well written but skewed to make Muslims and Islam the only real victims. There are subtle innuendos that seem biased against others, especially Christians, in that most were depicted as insensitive and unknowledgeable. I could not help but think of 2 young fathers of Italian American heritage that died leaving 8 children between them. Their families' strength has come from their faith and not hatred. I would have liked a more equal accounting of all the viewpoints of those involved. All three Abrahamic religions mentioned in the book believe in one God.
avid (10/19/11)

Didn't feel real
This was a well-written book that I want to give 5 stars to. Something about it just didn't work for me, though. I have a sense that the outrage over the selection of a Muslim to design a 9/11 memorial just would not play out the way it is depicted in this novel. I got the feeling throughout my reading that it didn't feel real. Worth reading to examine your own opinions on the matter, though.
Power Reviewer Diane S. (09/12/11)

The Submission by Amy Waldman
I recently saw the movie The Help and just finished reading The Dry Grass of August and was feeling very relieved that the 50's and the KKK were over. Than I read this book and realized that fear and hatred is never over. It just changes focus. A jury is picked to vote on anonymous entries for a 9/11 monument, a winner is chosen but before it is announced it is discovered that the architect is a Muslim. This well written book portrays a society that is not willing to let go of the hatred and controversy that having the first name of Mohammed entails.

National 9/11 Memorial & Museum

by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: