MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Homecoming of Samuel Lake, plus links to write your own review.

by Jenny Wingfield

Jul 2011, 352 pages
    Jul 2012, 368 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for The Homecoming of Samuel Lake

Lisa B. (05/30/12)

Miracles can happen
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is the kind of book that will stay with me a long time. The characters are so realistic and likable that I had to stop reading the book before bed because when bad things happened to the characters it upset me so much that I couldn't sleep. Not many books are this powerful.
Lori (05/24/12)

Homecoming of Samuel Lake
I absolutely loved The Homecoming of Samuel Lake which I won in an ARC giveaway. It’s the best book I’ve read thus far this year. I had been apprehensive that it might be too religious for me, but it wasn’t at all. I agree with the positive comparisons to To Kill A Mockingbird. The characters are unique and well-developed, and the book is beautifully written. There was an underlying suspense in the story that made me unable to put the book down. I would highly recommend it to all readers and book groups.
Mary (12/15/11)

Ended Too Soon
This was a fabulous book. Characters were developed nicely and the story moved along. It was an easy read and I read it in three evenings.
Louise J (08/13/11)

A Family Reunion You Won't Forget!
I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down. For a debut novel, Jenny Wingfield has penned a winner!

This is an emotionally charged book that, at one point, had me sobbing like a baby! I could easily see this novel becoming a classic someday. Ms. Wingfield is an up and coming author to watch for.
David V. (Wayside, NJ) (08/12/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield
This book started out with a bang, literally. Based on the beginning I thought it would be an interesting read, but something seemed to be missing. It gave a good depiction of life in rural Arkansas and focused on a somewhat dysfunctional family. Some of the characters were interesting buy many seemed to be part of the plot just to fill gaps in the narrative. One of the characters was particularly well-drawn. He was a truly evil person who another character described as "Satan's stepson". The story moved along but became somewhat boring and predictable. I also felt the title is misleading since, for me, Samuel Lake is a rather minor, under-developed character. The story never really seemed to reach it's potential as an interesting novel.
Regina F. (TOPEKA, KANSAS) (08/09/11)

Highly Recommend!
I could hardly put this book down. Wonderful debut book by Jenny Wingfield. Wingfield does a good job of captivating the reader in this tale of good vs evil. This is an emotionally charged book, with several breathtaking moments, and one moment that left me sobbing for thirty minutes (the only time I put the book down). This is some of the best storytelling I've read in years and the book has the potential of becoming a great movie. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Susan B. (Coventry, RI) (08/02/11)

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
I had mixed feelings about this book until I was about one third of the way through. I felt that it was too quiet for me. but then 'the plot thickens' and it picks up speed and races to the finish. I was breathless when I got to the end. I'm glad that I persevered!
Gayle M. (Billerica, MA) (07/31/11)

Enjoyable Summer Read
Reminiscent of 'To Kill a Mockingbird', the book centers on the precocious daughter of the title character. The book starts out slowly, giving the reader time to get to know, and like, the members of the Moses and Lake families. But once the plot takes off, its hard to put the book down. Overall a good read with well developed characters, and a villain that you just love to hate.

Literature of the American South

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun