MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Professor and the Madman, plus links to write your own review.

The Professor and the Madman

A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

by Simon Winchester

The Professor and the Madman

Jan 1998, 256 pages
    Jul 2005, 288 pages

There are currently 13 reader reviews for The Professor and the Madman

Brian (07/14/03)

The Professor and the Madman is the well written, yet slanted telling of the history of the Oxford English Dictionary. Using Mr. Minor's oscillation between the anal quest for literary perfection and paranoid delusion, the author uses excellent vocabulary and syntax to discuss the development of the greatest chronicle of the English language. A must read for any student of philology
Kate (10/31/02)

I am an avid reader and a late night person, however, i still found that large portions of this book put me to sleep. I found the description to be repititious, and i was jerked around from the lack of organization. I find that the language and style of this piece indicate that the author was trying to make this a display of talent he did not have. The gusts of wind he used to push his boat along are frivilous because they meet a sail full of holes. However I applaud him for his interesting topic and commendable research.
E.E.C. (09/04/02)

I found the book very slow and boring in many places. It was only in the sections involving Dr. Minor's actual insanity and madness that I became somewhat interested. Overall, it was a great sleeping pill.
Kim (07/29/02)

I enjoyed the book but found it to be a little "slow" at times. I read all English history I can find, no matter what the topic, and was excited to find this book. However, I personally would have enjoyed more information about the interaction between Minor and Murray, Minor's day to day life, more about his regression into madness. Perhaps little is known about these items, but I found myself wanting more after I finished the book.
Anonymous (08/12/01)

John Sinclair
The Professor and the Madman is one of the few books I have read virtually nonstop. I became so engrossed in the story line, I literally carried the book around with me until I had read it. Does Simon Winchester have an email address? I would like to congratulate him.

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun