Reader reviews and comments on Before I Go To Sleep, plus links to write your own review.

Before I Go To Sleep

by S.J. Watson

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Jun 2011, 368 pages
    Feb 2012, 368 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Before I Go To Sleep

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (01/01/13)

brilliant debut
Before I Go To Sleep is the first novel by British author S.J.Watson. Christine Lucas has the sort of amnesia that prevents her from storing new memories. This means that she wakes each day in an unfamiliar bedroom, next to a man she doesn’t know. The face she sees in the mirror is that of a woman much older than she knows herself to be. Each morning the man in her bed reassures her that he is Ben, her husband of 22 years, and that he loves her and will take care of her. So everything will be OK, won’t it? Watson has created a novel with an original plot and some delicious twists, a novel full of suspense with a heart-stopping climax and a perfect ending. Watson skilfully conveys Christine’s confusion, her doubts about her own memories, her fear of paranoia and ultimately her mistrust of what she is told. This debut novel is a brilliantly conceived psychological thriller that is hard to put down and will keep the reader guessing to the end. S.J.Watson is an author to watch.
traveler40 (09/18/12)

I could not suspend disbelief.
This book was like reading a poorly written (so repetitive) Mary Higgins Clark book. I knew almost immediately who the villain was. Medically speaking, I could not swallow the diagnosis nor believe that ALL of her friends would have written her off.
Michèle Dextras (01/03/12)

Not a mystery novel fan
I hate books that wrap up everything in the last 20 pages. This book is a good read, you want to know how it will end but there is so much repetition in this story and then everything happens and the mystery explained in the last 20 pages. I think this is why I don't generally read mystery novels.
Carolyn Watters (11/13/11)

Couldn't put it down!
Not your typical mystery/thriller. Makes a great book club selection. I loved the author's style and the pace. Would make a great movie!
Power Reviewer Louise J (08/23/11)

Could be a TOP Book of 2011....Don't Miss It!!
This is the first book I’ve read on my brand new KOBO e-reader and what a book it was!!! The mystery and suspense kept me turning page after page. The further the story went along, the faster I read and the quicker I turned the pages. This could very well be one of the TOP books for 2011.

The writing is flawless, the characters well-developed, and the story will just absolutely blow you out of the water.

I felt so bad for Christine. Imagine waking up every single morning and not knowing where you were, who the man in bed beside you was, what you were doing there etc. To have to be told anew at the beginning of each day and then lose it all again once sleep comes would be devastating at best. The ending was incredible and one I didn’t expect.

This is one book that I will highly, highly recommend to EVERYONE!!! Excellent and very, very well done novel!!!
Power Reviewer Diane S. (07/18/11)

Before I go to sleep by S.J. Watson
This book would make a great Hitchcock film. Suspense, twists and a completely original story, very well written for a fist novel. The ending was a little to pat for my liking but still a good read. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Power Reviewer mainlinebooker (07/13/11)

Run...to get this
I almost got into 3 accidents because I kept trying to read this at every stop light while I was in the car. Perfect for vacation, a long flight or just everyday reading. The tension continued to build in this book until the last couple of pages and I still am haunted by the conclusion..

Amnesia

by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow