Reader reviews and comments on Swamplandia!, plus links to write your own review.

Swamplandia!

by Karen Russell

Swamplandia!

Feb 2011, 336 pages
    Jul 2011, 416 pages

Amy Reading

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Swamplandia!

Power Reviewer Kelli Robinson (11/25/14)

Disjointed
I just didn't like it. My boyfriend and I read it together and we both felt a real sense of disappointment. Did we just not "get" the hype? Were we missing something? I felt disjointed most of the time like it was really two novels spliced together - one trying to work its way under the magical realism genre and the other a sort of coming of age humorous one. The result for me was muddled, and maybe I just don't like magical realism or maybe Russell was working just a little too hard at making this a quirky novel. It hit me hardest when I realized what was happening to Ava....and didn't care. Yup, I just didn't care what really happened to any of these characters and, in the end, that's not the way to endear the reader. Oh well.
Beach Reader (01/06/12)

Too much swamp
Aptly named book. Way too much swamp and not enough people. The characters are so slimline drawn that it is hard to connect with them. I was so glad to see the end of the book but sad that I didn't really feel touched by the saga.

The Ten Thousand Islands

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: