Reader reviews and comments on The Trinity Six, plus links to write your own review.

by Charles Cumming

Mar 2011, 368 pages
    Mar 2012, 368 pages

Elizabeth Whitmore Funk

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Trinity Six

Kenneth T. (Houston, Tx) (02/11/11)

The Trinity Six
After a slow beginning (for me, a senior citizen) bringing younger readers up to date with the extraordinary and true spy ring which began at Cambridge in the 1930s, this strory picks up speed and considerable interest. The author, Charles Cumming, manages to draft an exciting and well written yarn (an old word, well deserved) that holds ones interest to the end with a lovely suggestion of a sequel. The history is right on as well.
Joe S. (Port Orange, FL) (02/09/11)

Exciting and well written thriller.
I really liked this book and had a very hard time putting it down. It is exciting, suspenseful, well written with a great plot and collection of interesting and well developed characters. It was an overall enjoyable read. This is the first of Charles Cumming's books that I have read but I do intend to read more of them.
Frederick M. (Wilmington, NC) (02/08/11)

The Trinity Six
I have enjoyed all of Mr. Cumming's books, this one was no exception. His description of spycraft and of the machinations of the WWII-era British spy game are always interesting. While I think I enjoyed his Alec Milius series a bit more, this book was an enjoyable read.
Bob W. (Oakland, TN) (02/08/11)

Trinity Six
Not good...no, not the book, but the arrival of the delivery truck with my book after dark...it kept me up long after my normal bedtime. 'Unputdownable' page turner...my first contact with Mr Cumming, but hopefully not my last. Fans of spy novels will most certainly enjoy this one...it even had a new book quote (at least for me) to add to my list...

"He believed in the unarguable notion that if a young person is lucky enough to read the right books at the right time in the company of the right teacher, it will change their life forever."

Except for the totally unnecessary four-letter words sprinkled around, I would give it a '5-Very Good'...but at least there weren't enough of them to cause me to put it down.
Joan C. (Warwick, RI) (02/06/11)

The Trinity Six
I enjoyed reading this book. It begins with the main character, Professor Sam Gaddis, becoming involved in a innocent review of letters, documents covering a famous team of Soviet spies who lived and worked in England/US post WW II.The plot behind this story within a story becomes increasingly sophisticated and intriguing as it unfolds. Sam Gaddis , is a very believable English professor who , as an expert in Soviet history, gets caught up his own spy game . Sam is believable as a very intelligent man, but one who is naive to the real spy game. The reader doesn't really get to put the puzzle together until almost the very end. Reminded me of Frederick Forsyth's intricate spy novels which I also enjoyed.
William Y. (Lynchburg, VA) (02/06/11)

The Trinity Six, Charles Cumming, A Review
Over many years, the novel of espionage and spycraft has enjoyed a large, steady readership. With the 2011 publication of Charles Cumming's "The Trinity Six," fans of the genre will discover they need have no worries about its decline.
The author introduces Sam Gaddis, a naive English academic who finds himself unexpectedly thrust into old Cold War intrigues. An atmospheric page-turner, Cumming avoids the gadgets and devices so often present in techno-thrillers and opts for characterization instead.
A good, brisk read and recommended for anyone with an interest in the political twists and turns between East and West in the recent past.
Gerald R. (pompton lakes, NJ) (02/06/11)

Another Spy in from the Cold
This is a well crafted, fast paced espionage thriller. The author blends his Russia vs Great Britain fiction well with the facts of the spy scandals of the 1950's. His characters are all too believable and the reader will get his fill of double agents, mistaken identities, and secret agent craft. There is more than enough of the obligatory acronymic use so common to this genre. At times I felt it was a bit confusing. All in all, Mr. Cummings appears to be a worthy successor to such as Ambler, Deighton and le Carre.
Nancy O. (Hobe Sound, FL) (02/05/11)

An interesting new take on an old spy scandal
Trinity Six has much to offer, and it will definitely keep spy-novel aficionados interested up to the very last page. The Cambridge Spy ring is a topic of great personal interest, and although the author makes a couple of minor errors, he does a good job in explaining the history of this group to make it easily approachable for readers who may not be aware of the history of the Cambridge spies. The author has clearly done a lot of research and knows what he's talking about. My only problem with this book is that a lot of characterization is sacrificed to plot, so there's not a whole lot of time for the reader to become intimately involved with the players. It starts out somewhat slowly, but the pace quickens and the action doesn't stop. I'd recommend it to people who enjoy a good fictional romp through the world of espionage, both past and present. It's a very easy read, highly approachable and once it gets going, fast paced enough to satisfy any reader of spy thrillers.

The Cambridge Five

One Month Free Membership

Underground Airlines
    by Ben Winters

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place