Reader reviews and comments on Raising Wrecker, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Wrecker

by Summer Wood

Raising Wrecker

Feb 2011, 304 pages
    Sep 2012, 304 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Raising Wrecker

Jane - Indianola, Iowa (11/03/10)

Wrecker
Three women and a man, all with secrets and problems of their own, are joined together as an unconventional family to raise an unconventional child named Wrecker These unrelated people surround Wrecker with love and compassion, and in doing so not only come to accept their own problems, but raise and exceptional child to adulthood.

Wood's descriptive sentences are outstanding and add flavor and substance to her beautiful story of motherhood.
Power Reviewer Diane S. (Batavia, IL) (11/01/10)

Wrecker
We first meet Wrecker when he is three and from the beginning he tugs at your heartstrings. The characters in this book are wonderful, loving but filled with secrets and flaws that they work through by coming together to give a little boy a home. In doing so they find the answers and the way forward in their own lives.
Kathy S. (Danbury, CT) (10/31/10)

Family
Loved this one! A very insightful book that reveals its characters as flawed and three dimensional. This book is set in northern California and is the story of Wrecker, a three year old boy whose mother is sent to prison. Wrecker is adopted by a distant uncle who has his own sorrows, and is raised by a group of people living on the next farm over who become his family. Explores the concept of family, and illustrates how the family we choose (or the family that chooses us) may be better for us than the family we were born into.
Sylvia G. (Scottsdale, AZ) (10/30/10)

The opposite of a wreck
Really enjoyed this one. Wrecker is set in northern California and is the story of Wrecker, a three year old in 1968, whose mother is sent to prison. Adopted by a distant relative, he is raised by a diverse group of people who become a family. The characters are so natural and flawed and three dimensional, you'd swear they are real people. Expressively written with great tenderness and affection.
Power Reviewer Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI) (10/28/10)

Wrecker - A Love Story
With beautiful language and strong sentences the author weaves an intricate story of family love. The story begins in the late 60's in northern California, and it focuses on a boy named Wrecker. However, it is really the group of people surrounding Wrecker that make this story so special.

She creates such appealing and real characters, that right from the first page I was drawn into their lives and concerned about what happens to them.

This is truly a rewarding read!

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: