Reader reviews and comments on Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, plus links to write your own review.

by Amy Chua

Jan 2011, 256 pages
    Dec 2011, 256 pages

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Lynette M. (charlotte, NC) (11/12/10)

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
I thoroughly enjoyed Amy Chua's book. I was, at turns, both amazed and horrified by her descriptions of her mothering techniques. I found the insight into the Chinese way of parenthood to be fascinating but not sure it is something I could adopt or agree with for my own children. Her style of writing was very honest, humorous and engaging and I think this would make a terrific book club choice. I would be fascinated to hear her husband's perspective on some of the same events. I highly recommend this book.
Sadie PDX OR (11/09/10)

Who is the audience?
As I read this book, I found myself repeatedly asking, "For whom is this written?" Its marketing copy seems to suggest this would be a memoir hybrid of sorts providing readers with insight re: the cultural differences between Chinese and Western parenting styles. But really it's more of a detailed chronology of the author's values, her accomplishments, and what she demands of her children. There wasn't enough info re: the motivation behind the values described. I really wanted to learn something & I found myself first disappointed and then bored. As a bookseller, I don't feel there is enough of interest to intrigue readers.
Kate S. (arvada, CO) (11/09/10)

Tiger versus Pussycat
What an interesting study in two very different cultures! The book was easy to read, and keeps the readers interest. At times I had a difficult time believing what I was reading. Do parents really treat their children that way? Apparently so, and they are proud of it! Like everything, extremes are not usually the best solution. While I find much of "Western Parenting" too lax and undisciplined, the "Chinese Parenting" style seems way over the top. A meeting in the middle would seem like a good compromise to me. I think Book Clubs would have a heyday with this book. I have a list of people I want to pass this book on to.
Maggie R. (Canoga Park, CA) (11/09/10)

I'm speechless
Five stars for well written and fascinating book - but a bit like watching a train wreck. No! You didn't say that! You didn't do that! Will look forward to the daughters' memoirs.
Rebecca C. (Opelika, AL) (11/09/10)

Wisdom for all Parents!
I had so much fun reading this book. It is full of humor, great advice and special insights about parenting, Chinese style. I was surprised by the differences in "western" and Chinese parenting and delighted to know that I am less western than most. I was also delighted to know that raising children is a very difficult task for everyone. I highly recommend this book for parents, grandparents and anyone contemplating parenting or just wanting a great, entertaining book.
Deb Y. (Blanco, TX) (11/09/10)

East vs West
I wish I had had this book when my children were small. I would have realized that a vast gulf exists between the Western way of parenting and the Eastern way. Amy Chua's writing is very effective in describing not only her parenting style and the effects it can have, but she also seems to be very honest about her role in success or failure in her children's lives. Even when I was cringing at her tactics, a small part of me was cheering her on. Do yourself a favor and read this rather elegant documentation of what to do and what, I feel, not to do. It reads quickly and is very much worth your time.
MaryEllen K. (Albany, NY) (11/08/10)

Extreme Parenting
This book provided a fascinating insider's look at the Chinese parenting style, as related by Amy Chua. I had always believed that I myself used an authoritative parenting style; however, in comparison to this Tiger mother, I look permissive! I personally feel that at times, she was far too demanding of her daughters Sophia and Lulu - and yet, I can hardly argue with the results she achieved. Aside from the girls' extraordinary academic and musical accomplishments, from all accounts they are also polite, interesting, and well spoken young women. It occurs to me that there is far more to the "Chinese versus western parenting" than meets the eye. At the surface level, it appears to be about controlling versus permissive. However, I translated it in my mind to INVOLVED versus apathetic. No matter how domineering or controlling Amy Chua was in her parenting style, the level of her involvement in her children's lives was incredible. I think any child, whether they realize it or not, would rather have an involved parent, than one who was disengaged and uninterested.
Arden A. (Lady Lake, FL) (11/07/10)

The Mother is a Tiger
This is the most subjective review I have ever written, but I cannot be objective about this book. I find it very hard to relate to Amy Chua. She is a fiercely driven woman, and as such, she is fiercely driving her two daughters. The elder seems able to go with it, but the younger is rebellious. The author paints a picture of a household in perpetual upheaval, with acrimonious shouting contests between her and each of her daughters, mostly Lulu, the youngest, contrasting her methods as a “Chinese mother” to the comparatively passive and permissive style of western mothers. Yet she is a Chinese woman born in this country, married to a Jewish man, and almost psychopathic about being a “Chinese mother.” There is a disconnect here that I have a hard time grasping.

When I first started this book, I wasn't sure I would make it through; I couldn't believe what I was reading. Can any woman really, honestly believe this this kind of behavior is beneficial to her children? Is she really so disillusioned as to be able to convince herself and the reader that her way is the right way?

I managed to finish this book, since it is an engaging read; but I was shaking my head more often than not. Her husband is a saint, or an idiot, I'm not quite sure which. Both of them are extremely high achievers, yet somehow he seems normal and you wonder how he can stand by and watch this behavior toward his children. She has created a seemingly dysfunctional environment for her very talented girls. One wonders why she would “put it all out there” as she does in this book. To what end?

The Tiger Mother Media-Storm

by Brad Watson
  • Book Jacket: Dinner with Edward
    Dinner with Edward
    by Isabel Vincent
    In late 2009 Isabel Vincent and her family were still newcomers to New York City. She and her ...

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All