Reader reviews and comments on Little Princes, plus links to write your own review.

One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal

by Conor Grennan

Feb 2011, 304 pages
    Dec 2011, 320 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Little Princes

June M. (Columbia, South Carolina) (12/29/10)

Fulfilment of a Promise
Conor Grennan thought he was out to travel the world until he arrived in the mountainous country of Nepal where he volunteered in an orphanage. With the civil war, children were taken from their parents with the promise of a better life. However, they were mistreated and starved. The lucky ones were rescued and placed in the orphanage. After returning to the US, he set up a foundation and returned to Nepal to try and locate the parents of the orphans. The book describes his relationship with the children and his determination to fulfill his promise to locate the parents.
Elizabeth K. (Dallas, TX) (12/26/10)

A Book Worth Reading and Giving to Others
The story of Conor Grennan's visit to a Nepal orphanage, and how his life changed once he comprehended the harm that child trafficking does, is inspiring, heart-wrenching, and fulfilling. It reminds us of the importance of home and family, and how children can overcome amazing hardships if given a chance. A portion of the proceeds from book purchases go to help the children of Nepal, and after reading this book, you'll surely want to help. Kudos to Conor and to the work that Next Generation Nepal is doing to save children from harm and when possible, to reunite them with their families.
Nancy G. (Oceanside, California) (12/23/10)

I loved Little Princes!
It's not too often that a book - especially non-fiction - can make me both laugh and cry! I have a great admiration for Conor and envy his loving and untiring devotion for the lost children of Nepal. I read this book very quickly because I couldn't put it down! The message in the book is inspiring and anyone who has concern for abused children should read Little Princes.
Susan K. (dartmouth, MA) (12/23/10)

Little Princes
Will definitely be buying copies to pass out to friends. What a compelling story. The author starts out as a rather clueless, unfocused individual, with good intentions, and as as the book progresses, we see him grow up, focus on a goal (and what a goal), and come into his own as a writer as well. This book has everything, humor, pathos, adventure, suspense, surprise, love, and even a happy ending. What more could one want - I'll tell you - PICTURES. I do hope the publishers include pictures and a map of the region; it will greatly enhance the readers' experience. Great memoir. Thank you, BookBrowse folks for affording me the experience of reading it.

[Editor's Note: Susan was reading an 'advanced reader's copy' of "Little Princes". As ARCs are produced some months ahead of publication date they are often missing inserts such as pictures. In this case, we're happy to confirm that the finished version of "Little Princes" has both a map and photos (and some wonderful images and videos can also be found at NextGenerationNepal.org]
Carolee H. (Tucson, AZ) (12/22/10)

A Passionate Story
This book had a great impact on me. It was well written and I could relate to the main character Connor and his struggles and triumphs. The main story of the book is how Connor a young Irish American volunteers in Nepal orphanage and how he makes it his life’s mission to help these poor children. The part of the book when he returns to Humla to find the children's parents is unforgettable and I could not put the book down till the end. The underlying story is of Connor and how his life is inspired by these children. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read books about foreign countries and how it only takes one person to make a difference. After I finished the book I immediately went to the NGN and Umbrella Foundation website. I hope one day I can fill out the volunteer form and spend 3 months in Nepal.
Susan S. (Middlebury, Connecticut) (12/22/10)

LittlePrinces
My progress through the first few chapters was steady but it made me think ho-hum. Then Conor began to develop a sense of humor, the children became familiar, and I started feeling the pain the families endured in Nepal and started rooting for Conor and Next Generation! A heart-warming story of human spirit, respect, brotherhood, and of course love.
Marta M. (Santa Ana, CA) (12/21/10)

A wonderful read!
I couldn't wait to read "Little Princes". It related to my family. My daughter had spent six months working with orphans in Kenya. While these children hadn't been trafficked they still acted a lot like the children of Nepal. She came home with similar stories as Connor. The children wrapping themselves around you, following you around like little puppies, and making you feel so wonderful. Connor Grennan wrote this story with a lot of warmth and humor. His story of how he helped these children was full of humility, which I appreciated. This book would be excellent to be read by book clubs and for anyone who thinks they would like to be involved with helping people overseas. This book tells about what it is like to live in developing world countries. Thanks for the amazing book Connor!
Nancie C. (Klamath Falls, OR) (12/18/10)

Little Princes
It took about one-third of the way into the book to grab and hold my interest. From that point, I found it compelling to read on. The author's use of simile's in some cases seemed forced; removing them would improve the reading experience. In the final copy, I recommend that pictures of some of the children and Farid be included; and a map of Nepal which includes the Humla Region. I would like to have learned more about Jagrit's outcome towards the wrap up of the story.

[Editor's Note: Nancie was reading an 'advanced reader's copy' of "Little Princes". As ARCs are produced some months ahead of publication date they are often missing inserts such as pictures. In this case, we're happy to confirm that the finished version of "Little Princes" has both a map and photos (and some wonderful images and videos can also be found at NextGenerationNepal.org]

Next Generation Nepal

by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Be sincere, be brief, be seated

The Big Holiday Wordplay: