MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Daughters of the Witching Hill, plus links to write your own review.

by Mary Sharratt

Apr 2010, 352 pages
    Jan 2011, 352 pages

There are currently 19 reader reviews for Daughters of the Witching Hill

Lola T. (Broken Arrow, OK) (03/03/10)

Daughters of the Witching Hill
This was an outstanding read!!! I couldn't put it down and even gave up computer time (gasp!!) to read it. I loved the way the author incorporated the manner of speech of those times; I found only once instance of contemporary vernacular and it really jarred me. I truly felt I was there with Bess and Alizon in those late 1500's, experiencing not only the grinding poverty, but the happiness that the common folk felt. I'll be recommending this book to all my fellow historical novel lovers!! Well-researched and very well written!
Priscilla M. (Houston, TX) (03/01/10)

Steeped in History
A brooding, atmospheric setting in England in the 1600's tells the story of the hard scrabble life of Bess Southern, a "wise woman" who only used her talents for healing or blessing people to support her family. Her daughters and granddaughters inherit the talent but not the wisdom for using it. I was drawn into the story and became attached to the characters as they tried to make a life for themselves in a community increasingly suspicious of anything even remotely related to witchcraft. Based on actual witchcraft trials in Pendle in1612, there is enough history to make the tale believable and enough magic to make it a gripping read.
Leann A. (Springfield, IL) (02/27/10)

Daughters of the Witching Hill
Told from the point of view of two of the most notorious of the “Pendle Hill Witches", Mother Demdike and her granddaughter, Alizon, this is a compelling, well written story of magic, superstition and the danger of being a woman of power in the time of King James. Every time I picked this book up I was immediately transported to Pendle Forest and completely absorbed in the story of these women.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun