Reader reviews and comments on The Bricklayer, plus links to write your own review.

by Noah Boyd

Feb 2010, 400 pages
    Jan 2011, 416 pages

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The Bricklayer

Barbra W. (Dexter, MI) (12/28/09)

Good material for a series
Overall, I enjoyed "The Bricklayer." The book introduces a character who is somewhat similar to Parker's "Spenser" or MacDonald's "Travis McGee" in that he is smart, very good a snappy comebacks, and always keeps a portion of himself very private. The story is good in the level of detail that is presented, making it quite believable, although somewhat predictable at times. There were a couple of places in the book where I found myself to be ahead of the characters. And I found it interesting that the women in the book were very strong characters. I would read another book in the same series. In general, a good, diverting read.
Julie, PA; avid reader (12/23/09)

Fast Paced Thriller
From the first page to the last, there was plenty of action and suspense. Very enjoyable, quick read. The author made the reader care about what happened to the characters and the characters themselves were very interesting. Will read more by this author.
Sue S. (Saratoga, CA) (12/22/09)

My sister's new favorite man
Just got an advance copy from BookBrowse to review, and I know I'm going to send this one to my sister. I think Steve Vail will replace Jack Reacher as her favorite man (in books at least).

As a recent refugee from the corporate world, I admire Vail for being a guy who defies authority and returns to work only on his terms. The descriptions of action sequences are crisp and clear, creating a movie-like quality as your brain transforms the words to pictures. I won't be surprised if this is made into a move. Now, who should play Vail? Hmm. I'll ask my sister.
Beth F. (Bloomfield Hills, MI) (12/21/09)

The Bricklayer
What a great read!! The suspense started on page one and didn't end until the finish of the book. I liked the lead character Steve Vail and the FBI agent Kate. I'm sure we will read about both of them again!!
Jim T. (Hilton Head Island, SC) (12/15/09)

Intricate and Dangerous, a Unique Thriller
A great buildup to introducing Steve Vail, the unique character, who emerges after several FBI agents are killed in a twisted plot of extortion and madness. The story unfolds with ever increasing challenges through a maze of set ups that fool the FBI, and leads Steve Vail deeper into a web of anger, greed, and romance. However, the developing romance between Kate and Steve could have been handled with more sophistication at the end to make a truly great read.
Jerry P. (Santa Rosa, CA) (12/15/09)

The Bricklayer
I enjoyed this book and couldn't set it aside. Although this is Noyd Boyd's ( a pseudonym) first novel, the main character, Steve Vail, should rank in the top tier of literary action heroes. I enjoyed the bantering between him and Kate Bannon, the main female character. I hope this relationship continues in future episodes. The plot, despite many twists, turns, and dead-ends smoothly came together. I agree with other reviewers that the undefined acronyms were unsettling and detracted me from the story. ( I finally resorted to googling them).
I am looking forward to the next episode.
Rebecca C. (Opelika, AL) (12/14/09)

The Bricklayer - FBI Thriller
I received an ARC of The Bricklayer from Bookbrowse.com and I am so glad I did. From the first page to the last I was completely engaged with the characters and the story line and at 390 pages this one is no wimp. And still, it ended too soon. There were so many twists and turns in this thriller that I could not figure out what was happening next and I am the queen of figuring out the ending by the middle of the book. As an added bonus, I have fallen in love with Steve Vail, the Bricklayer, and am so thrilled that this is just the first book in a series. I can’t wait for the second book to come out. So you better get this one on your wish list quick because you cannot have my copy!
Joe S. (South Daytona, FL) (12/11/09)

A Good Read
Usually not a fan of this type book, I was very pleasantly surprised. It is a well written exciting story with intelligent and likable lead characters. I found myself staying up late at night not wanting to put it down. I can't wait for another.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs
    The Marriage of Opposites
    by Alice Hoffman

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Falling
    by Jane Green

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All