MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Making Toast, plus links to write your own review.

A Family Story

by Roger Rosenblatt

Mar 2010, 176 pages
    Feb 2011, 128 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Making Toast

Leslie W. (Burlingame, CA) (10/27/09)

Making Toast
Wonderfully written story of how a family deals with the untimely loss of a loved one. Making Toast shares all of the emotions and difficulties that a family must go through in order to go on with life after the tragedy of death.

This book is a must read for all. It will inspire you to look at life differently.
Marissa P. (Tarrytown, NY) (10/27/09)

Heartbreaking & Endearing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from cover to cover. The author who lost his daughter to a rare heart disorder chronicles his and his wife's journey with their late daughter's children and her husband. The grandparents move in with Harris, Amy's husband and James, Sammy and Jessica, their children. Although Amy is gone in a physical sense she never leaves their lives and her parent's thoughts. They struggle with helping to raise the children and find comfort and joy in the process. It is a bittersweet tale that leaves you laughing and crying. Although happiness abounds in this book you are always bought back to the reality of the profound loss and it's meaning to each of the characters.
Beth M. (Scarsdale, NY) (10/27/09)

A tragedy told with restraint
Roger Rosenblatt's memoir of the months following his daughter's sudden death is told with great simplicity and restraint. Unfortunately, for me that didn't work. I wanted to read more of the emotional pain and less of the day-to-day details of caring for his 3 young grandchildren. I did appreciate the sense of wonder as a new family structure is created. It was remarkable to see how Roger and his wife changed their lives to be there for their grandchildren and son-in-law. In a time when families are so fractured, it's inspiring to read about one that bonded with love following a great tragedy.
Susan S. (Lakeville, MA) (10/25/09)

This book is meant to be read more than once.
I started reading this book on Friday night and finished it on Sunday morning. I couldn't put it down. It is a short, sweet story of a family dealing with the sudden death of a young daughter who left behind three small children. The book is equally heartbreaking and heartwarming. The reader will laugh out loud and cry at the same time. This is a book that I will recommend to all my friends and will buy for my own daughter -- I'm keeping this copy. I was not familiar with this author, but will now search out and read his other books.
Mary G. (River Forest, IL) (10/25/09)

No answers - I love it!
Finally - a self help book that doesn't offer answers. No preaching, yoga, religious practices, emotional dietary props, no deep breathing. Rosenblatt tells it like it is - and is helpful in spite of himself.

Having lost a daughter, survived by a daughter of her own in mid-teens, I have empathy for the author's sudden transformation from grandparent to parent in the midst of untold grief. And his message is one it took me longer to discover, but which I've found to be true. His book is deeply personal, telling the day after day meaningful moments (like "making toast!") that make surviving grief possible. My daily circumstances - and yours - are different from his, but it doesn't matter. His own "moments" somehow blend with my own, and they make me smile.

Having read "Making Toast," I feel better about death - and I can still eat chocolate and don't have to go to the gym to do it!

Roger Rosenblatt

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q