Reader reviews and comments on Making Toast, plus links to write your own review.

A Family Story

by Roger Rosenblatt

Mar 2010, 176 pages
    Feb 2011, 128 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Making Toast

Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (11/02/09)

Something missing
Roger Rosenblatt's Making Toast is a well written book concerning the death of an adult daughter, about grandparents becoming parents again. It was a good read but I had the feeling there was something missing. Character development to me went only half-way. I almost know these lovely people who so bravely changed their lives in a time of need. I think Roger wanted to relate some of the horror of their lives and fell slightly short. I wanted more meat. I would not recommend this to my book club.
Nancy S. (Independence, MO) (11/02/09)

Making Toast
A lovely memoir about a family that must deal with the sudden death of a beloved daughter. I loved this book from beginning to end. It gave me a clearer understanding of what is important in life. Thank you Mr. Rosenblatt for writing this heartwarming book.
Kim B. (Arlington, TX) (11/02/09)

Singing The Boppo Anthem!
Don't be misled -- this tiny book packs a huge punch; right to your heart. The author's simplistic and authentic voice gives those of us who've not walked through the dark valley of grief a true sense of the enormity of his loss. It's not often you find a book that lets you shed a tear and a smile on the same turn of a page. I'm recommending this book to friends, but hanging onto my copy!
Patricia S. (New Canaan, CT) (11/01/09)

A love letter to a daughter and her family
This book should be published on Feb 14th, not the 16th as it is truly a testament to love within the Rosenblatt family. I did shed a few tears reading this book from cover to cover in one sitting. As a grandmother of 3 boys, ages 1,3 and 5 and having just finished babysitting for them for 5 days, I was totally exhausted by dinnertime and raised a glass of wine to Ginny (and to Roger) for being able to step into the shoes of the children's mother without collapsing, either physically or mentally.. The writing is such that the reader feels they are a part of the family, not an outsider. Truly a masterful piece dealing with the loss of a daughter, yet preserving her memory through everyday tasks. I'll look forward to recommending this for our bookclub in Maine.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (10/31/09)

good, quick read
I found this book to be both painful and poignant. Amy, the Rosenblatt's daughter dies suddenly leaving her life unfinished with a husband and three small children. "Mimi" and "Boppa" move in with their son-in-law and grandchildren to help them. Making Toast is a testament to the endurance of people, when they are faced with difficult times. The book is full of feelings. Love, grief, regret and hopelessness are all depicted along with the family moving on day by day. Despite the difficulties with the loss of Amy, daughter, wife and mother, to me it celebrates the kind nature of people.
Heather F. (Tulsa, OK) (10/30/09)

Making toast
An excellent "how to" for anyone suffering the loss of a family member. Written with unerring sensitivity to the pain of loss and the joy of healing. Gently told with both compassion and humor, this somehow uplifting book on a seriously sad topic, is one to tuck away on a shelf after reading - just in case.
Beatrice D. (Floral Park, New York) (10/30/09)

Death out of Order
One of life's greatest tragedies occurs when parents have to stand at the graveside of a child, no matter her age. This is what happened to Roger Rosenblatt and his wife Ginny whose daughter's sudden death at the age of 38, forced them to transition into the role of surrogate parents to three children under the age of seven simultaneous with their natural roles as grandparents. By no means treacly with sentiment, the book takes us through the ordinary along with the extra-ordinary events in the life of this family as they struggle to regain their center and go on with their lives. Not a memoir in the usual sense, rather a series of journal-like entries that make us a part of the day to day struggles and triumphs the family experiences
Julie G. (West Hartford, CT) (10/28/09)

The Power of Love
Although this book deals with the death of the author's daughter, it is ultimately the story of the power of love and family. After Amy Solomon's untimely and unexpected death, the author and his wife move in with her husband and three young children to help out. The story tells of the little, everyday things that make up life and how one must go on, even after tragedy strikes. It is a small story, but both heartfelt and heartwarming.

Roger Rosenblatt

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All