MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Making Toast, plus links to write your own review.

A Family Story

by Roger Rosenblatt

Mar 2010, 176 pages
    Feb 2011, 128 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Making Toast

Bonnie B. (Fairbanks, AK) (11/15/09)

Death Brings a Family Closer
This memoir is about family - love, death, perseverance. When the author's 38 year-old daughter dies suddenly, leaving three young children and a husband, the author and his wife move in with their son-in-law and grandchildren to help preserve the family as their daughter would have wanted it. This is a poignant and subtly brutal story of the impact of sudden death on those left behind.

My own husband dealt with a similar situation. When he was 24 years old, his wife died, leaving him to care for a two week old daughter on his own. Reading this story brought tears to my eyes, not only for the losses, but for the love and endurance of this family. They are blessed to have one another.
Power Reviewer Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT) (11/12/09)

Making Toast
I enjoyed reading this memoir very much. It is fast paced and a page-turner. The book is composed of short paragraphs for each idea or story, and there are 118 of them. (yes, I counted.)

Making Toast is not only about the breakfast ritual each morning, but it is also the process that connects every idea together. It is well written.
Amanda N. (Murfreesboro, TN) (11/11/09)

Making Toast
Rosenblatt's memoir is so heartbreakingly honest; I read it in one sitting and was sad to see it end. I highly recommend this book to fans of Joan Didion's Year of Magical Thinking and Kelly Corrigan's The Middle Place. Highly recommended.
Angela S. (Howell, MI) (11/10/09)

Making Toast
It is easy to see how this book would appeal to people who have gone through the experience of losing a child, and the aftermath of living without that loved one. I expected to feel this family's grief and ache and I did, but it was not necessarily due to the words on the page. This book just did not have the depth I had hoped for, and seemed too choppy for me. There were funny moments and certainly sad moments, but none that made me laugh out loud or shed a tear.
Iris F. (W. Bloomfield, Michigan) (11/08/09)

Making Toast
Losing a child has to be every parents worst nightmare. In choosing to review Making Toast, a memoir written by a man who has suffered such a loss, I expected to be caught up in an emotionally charged discourse that would be somewhat difficult to read.

As an award written essayist, there is no question as to the quality of the writing. However, the book has no logical order and at times seems to have been written in a stream of consciousness. The narrative is told factually with little emotion perhaps due to the authors training an a journalist. It felt like he was an observer rather than a participant in the tragedy of this young family.

While sounding to be contradictory, the author's love and devotion to his deceased daughter and his extended family resonate clearly. I just wish he had been more forthcoming about his feelings.
Debbie M. (grand junction, CO) (11/07/09)

Making Toast
Every parent's worst nightmare, the death of a child, no matter what age. Roger Rosenblatt takes us through the first year after his daughter's death. He and his wife are there for his son-in-law and grandchildren. Rosenblatt is an excellent story teller and softens the pain he must have been going through with tales of his grandchildren as he helps them with their loss. A story of love and lessons we can all learn from.
Peggy H. (North East, PA) (11/06/09)

Toast a Little Dry
Making Toast is a gentle tale that reads like a reality show camera aiming at this heartbroken family. Unfortunately, although the story is tragic, it is curiously disaffecting. I couldn't help but think of how different this story would be if the family weren't so privileged and had fewer options available.
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL) (11/03/09)

Making Toast
What a heartwarming story! What could be a depressing tale becomes a tribute not only to Amy, but to Harris, Ginny and Roger. I felt the sorrow of all the characters, but I also felt the love that made it all work. This will be a book that I will read more than once and will recommend it to my friends.

Roger Rosenblatt

• Book Jacket: The North Water
    The North Water
    by Ian McGuire
    In early 1859 the crew of the Volunteer, a Greenland-bound whaler, is making the most of the last ...
  • Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...

The Children
    by Ann Leary

With remarkable wit and insight, Ann Leary pulls back the curtain on one blended family.

Win The Weekenders

The Perfect Summer Escape!

Told with Mary Kay Andrews' trademark blend of humor and warmth.

Girl Waits with Gun