Reader reviews and comments on The Wives of Henry Oades, plus links to write your own review.

by Johanna Moran

• Paperback:
    Feb 2010, 384 pages

There are currently 31 reader reviews for The Wives of Henry Oades

Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA) (01/15/10)

Great book
I really loved this book. It is a unique blend of drama and historical research, which is incorporated well into the story. The women characters are particularly well-developed. I plan to recommend it to my book club when it is out in March.
Vy A. (Phoenix, (12/28/09)

The Wives of Henry Oades
Based on a true story, taking place at the turn of the 20th Century in New Zealand and San Francisco, this book was difficult for me to put down because of the compelling characters and descriptive writing style, as well as an unbelievable series of horrific events which occur to a loving family. It proves that truth is indeed stranger than fiction. For example, what would you do if the wife and children of the man you married showed up on the doorstep, years after all thought they were dead? How this situation plays out keeps the reader turning the pages and the result is a testimonial to the power of love and to the compassion of two extraordinary women. I recommend it highly.
Kat F. (Palatine, IL) (12/27/09)

Pleasant surprise after all
The reason I asked to review this book was because the description was so intriguing. Then I received the book and based on the cover alone, thought I was in for a big disappointment. Turns out I was wrong. This is a great first novel. Taking historical facts, the author wrote a riveting novel from the perspective of both wives. I couldn’t stop reading it. Although the ending was a bit flat and abrupt, overall I greatly enjoyed this book and will recommend it to others. Maybe the cover art could be changed?
Marta M. (Tustin, CA) (12/22/09)

An enjoyable read
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a historical novel based on a true court case in California at the turn of the twentieth century. Many of the reviewers said that they wanted more fleshed out characters. I had to keep reminding myself that in those days people didn't express their emotions as much as they do today. That they accepted what happened to them, and much of what they did do was to please society. They made the best of every situation and didn't feel as sorry for themselves as we do today. This is evident by Margaret's acceptance of the situation. In today's world one of the wives would have been divorced, but in those days that would have made the children illegitimate. That would mean that they may not be employed or have opportunities in later life. That makes a good reason not to have either marriage annulled. It made me feel fortunate to be living now. Nowadays, this would have made front page news and they all would have had family counseling. They would have been interviewed by Oprah and there would be outpouring of support. I really enjoyed reading this book and will recommend it to all of my friends.
Laura K. (Middletown, NJ) (12/22/09)

The Wives of Henry Oades
Very good historical fiction! The storyline and characters are well developed. I would recommend this book, especially for book groups. The moral quandary Henry, Nacy and Margaret find themselves in would surely elicit an interesting group discussion.
Pamela F. (Grants Pass, OR) (12/19/09)

The Wives of Henry Oades
I love historical fiction. So this was a good book in my opinion. The characters were interesting, the plot is not something that I would normally come across, and although at the beginning I had a little trouble getting into it...it grabbed me and I wanted to find out how it ended. I would definitely recommend it.
Nikki M. (Fort Wayne, IN) (12/17/09)

Engrossing fiction based on fact!
This was an incredible story based on true events. The relationship that develops between the two Mrs. Oades is most unusual, yet compelling. This is definitely worth reading.
Irene M. (Ashland, OR) (12/15/09)

The Two Wives of Henry Oades
This was a very enjoyable book. The prose was simple, but well-written. I especially liked the fact that it was based on a true story. The characters were well-developed and I certainly could relate to the feelings and responses of the three main characters. I look forward to more books by this author.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age
    Barkskins
    by Annie Proulx

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All