Reader reviews and comments on Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, plus links to write your own review.

by Helen Simonson

Mar 2010, 368 pages
    Dec 2010, 384 pages

BJ Nathan Hegedus

There are currently 13 reader reviews for Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Diane S (01/06/11)

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Such a great book, not an extremely deep one but great all the same. Major Pettigrew would make a wonderful series for PBS. I think most of us know or have in our family an upright opinionated older gentlemen who reminds us of this character, at least I do. Wonderful character development and very readable writing style. Definitely want to read more from this author.
budasue (01/05/11)

A simple pleasure
It was easy to be transported to Edgecombe St. Mary because of the author's attention to detail. I found myself smiling through most of the book. Even though a few of the characters were sometimes just one step removed from caricature, the story still rang true. An uplifting, hilarious, honest tale. One of my favorite books of 2010.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (08/12/10)

Actually 4.5
This is a wonderful story with a main character that I was fond of right from the start, and remained so even as my first impression of him was altered as the book neared its conclusion. I enjoyed the turns in the plot that led me to change my idea of what the Major's last stand really would be.
Power Reviewer Lynn (07/06/10)

Very entertaining and charming
It may not happen immediately, but well before you finish this book, you will love Major Pettigrew. I love how the author was able to incorporate the Major's thoughts as well as his actions into a great character. This is such a funny and charming book. The feel of the story will remind you of the charm of the Mitford series of several years ago. I was somewhat aware of the prejudices of economic class and Pakistani immigrants, but this book really turned it into an enlightening part of the story. There has to be a sequel. I will buy it the first day it is available.
Cariola (03/21/10)

This book is a bit lighter than my usual fare, but I was absolutely charmed by it. If I lived in Edgcumbe-St.-Mary, I think I'd be in love with the major, too. It's the gentle tale of a widowed retired major who is grieving for his recently-deceased brother when friendship blooms with Mrs. Ali, the widow of a Pakistani shopkeeper. Friendship inevitably turns into stronger affection--but what will the members of the club say (let alone the major's son, a broker schmoozing his way up the corporate ladder)? And will the major ever succeed in reuniting a pair of Churchill shooters given to his father by a maharajah and divided between his sons at his death? Much of the novel is centers on conflicts between the "older generation" values of the major and the new values of "progress." Mrs. Ali, too, has conflicts with her own beliefs and the traditional Islamic values of her husband's family.

If I could give this book 4.5 stars, I would. It's not quite a 5, but awfully close!

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Tom Jackson

by Paulette Jiles

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.