Reader reviews and comments on Sarah's Key, plus links to write your own review.

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Jun 2007, 304 pages
    Sep 2008, 320 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Sarah's Key

MV (10/15/15)

Great Story
Sarah’s Key, written by Tatiana De Rosnay, is my favourite book because it ties together the past and the present in an unique way. It is about a young Jewish girl named Sarah, who lives in Paris during World War Two. Her family is forced out of their home and rounded up by the French police. They are held in a velodrome until they are to be transported to Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland. The story fast forwards to sixty years later, following an American journalist, Julia, who lives in Paris and is writing a magazine article on the roundup that affected Sarah’s life. Julia discovers withheld family secrets, that lead her straight to Sarah. What she finds out both shocks her, and changes her life in an extraordinary way.

This book combines history with suspense in a way that hooks its reader. As the story unfolds, more secrets are revealed about Sarah’s life.This book will keep you intrigued until the end. De Rosnay wrote the book in a way that is easy to follow, even though it switches from past to present frequently. Her dialogue, characters, and plot, in general, are delivered with honesty and realism. She makes you feel like the fictional events in the book truly did occur. The roundup of the Parisian Jews, otherwise known as the Vel D’hiver, is the only non-fictional event that occurs in the book.

Sarah’s Key is a tearjerker, and that is what I think makes it a good book. The tragic events that Sarah experiences are so realistic and heartbreaking. Anyone reading this book has a good chance of displaying some sort of emotion, whether it be anger, horror, and/or sadness. It has left an impact on me, and I am sure it will affect anyone else who has read this book. Sarah’s key will both educate you about the Holocaust, and entertain you with its emotionally suspenseful plotline.

It would be wrong for me to say that the book, in its entirety, was perfect. If I could change some parts of the book, it would be to include more details about the past, and less about the present. I would like to get to know Sarah’s character a bit better, and a lot less about Julia. Sarah’s story is the main reason this book is such a success. Julia’s story is not very eventful, and the author seems to think the reader will feel some kind sympathy towards her, or be able to relate to her. Her ‘tragic’ life that consists of a disintegrating marriage, miscarriage and homesickness, can’t even compare to the horrors that Sarah faces. Julia also uses Sarah’s story as an escape, or distraction, from her own life. This is a good book to read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Holocaust, Paris, or just a tragic novel to make you cry.
Doris (01/19/12)

Sarah's Key Book Review
Sarah’s Key is written about Tatiana de Rosnay. It takes place in Paris, France and deals with the Holocaustand the Vel d’hiv round up in 1942 where the french police captured hundreds of Jews and took them to their deaths.

This was a heart-wrenching story about a dark period in history. It contains suspense but also heartbreak and pain. I recommend this book and I’m sure anyone in there right mind will fall completely in love with it.
Care (01/05/12)

Very sad but a must to read
I found this book so terribly sad, it brought tears. I wasn't going to finish it but I am glad I did. Everything should read this so they know what happened to the Jews during Hitler's reign. He was so evil, is surely in Hell. The French were ordered by Hitler to do this. Saddest book I ever read but worth it, couldn't put it down. Maybe the film will be a bit different. This is done all the time, film not quite the same as the book. Not sure I would watch it!!
Brooke (12/04/11)

Sarah's Key
Sarah's Key was very intriguing. I loved it from the very beginning. I highly recommend this book if you are into historical fiction books that are exciting and have a touch of romance in it. I loved it, and I hope that you do to. Do not be afraid to read a book. Even if the reviews don;t catch your eye, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't enjoy it. I myself have read reviews on a book, and it didn't sound good at all, but I read it and it is one of my favorite books that I have ever read. So I highly recommend this Just try it, I'm sure that you will love it!!!! :)
Melli Reeds (11/12/11)

Sarah's Key
This novel drew me in from the beginning. The way de Rosnay intertwined two stories were well done. And the various dramatic situations and circumstances make the readers contemplative and in some ways makes an emotional connection. However, I felt the ending was a complete sell-out. A real disappointment. The ending lost it's voice and reason. It was written as if it was to please the audience...or had to wrap up the story quickly. ...maybe I should have rated it a 3.
Di (10/14/11)

This was an extremely disturbing book, and after a few chapters, I could see what was coming and put it away.Though based on a little known historic event, the story is maudlin and doesn't ring "true". When the police are pounding on the door, it takes a good long time for the mother to answer, and she seems very much unconcerned about her children. And then we get to Julia. Just couldn't relate. Not my kind of book
HP (08/28/11)

Sara's Key
I loved the story, although, It was sad and hard to read. Being Jewish myself, it brought tears to my eyes. It was a surprise ending. Everyone should read this book.
Kathy West (08/07/11)

Sarah's Key
This is a must read book. I really enjoyed how she used the 2 characters past and present to tell this important story. I had a difficult time putting down my book. I was concerned about reading another Nazi story because it is so unbelievable that humans could treat other humans that way, but this is done so uniquely. ENJOY, I DID!

• Book Jacket: The Mothers
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson
  • Book Jacket: Mercury
    by Margot Livesey
    Margot Livesey explores the moneyed suburbs of Boston and creates a modern morality tale chronicling...

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.