Reader reviews and comments on A Gate at the Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

A Gate at the Stairs

Lucia Silva

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A Gate at the Stairs

shelly (07/11/11)

A Gate At The Stairs
I read this book with my book group or I never would have finished it. I kept thinking "what am I missing?" because I just didn't get it. I thought it was written by an 18 year old so I guess in that regard the author nailed the voice. Then I thought that perhaps this is supposed to be funny, so I found a website and listened for a bit. Nope not funny. I never could care about any of the characters or the story line. In fact the story was so disjointed it was hard to follow. I really hate when authors have these mental meanderings that have nothing to do with the story itself just to (I assume) put words on pages. It's completely opposite of the way we were taught to write in college. Aaah, maybe that's my real problem with this book.
J. Hampshire (10/11/10)

Wouldn't recommend
In our small book club of seven no one enjoyed this book. Perhaps our club is to new and our reading skills are not all that deep. We just want to read a good story and we sure did not find it in this book. There are so many things going one it's as if the author had all these ideas so she decided to just put them all together. Unfortunately none of the ideas were that interesting. Sorry this book was not for us.

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review